cleaning

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
      I put together my first still not sure how to clean the flocks and
      other cried from the inside. any help would be appreciated thank you
      from Jack
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jntmo11@...> wrote:

        > I put together my first still not sure how to clean the flocks and
        > other cried from the inside. any help would be appreciated thank
        you
        > from Jack

        Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
        removes soldering/brazing scale and flux residue. Then hose out the
        parts with your garden hose (stops the caustic action). Then
        assemble the still, charge it with equal parts water & white
        vinegar, and a handful of salt. Fire it up and steam it out (no
        condenser water). Allow to cool, then drain and hose out all parts
        again (stops the acid action). It should be ready for its maiden
        voyage. If storing, rinse with clean water and air-dry everything.

      • pint_o_shine
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
          -->
          > Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
          In the USA this can be purchased under the name Arm and Hammer Washing
          Soda. It is also called sodium carbonate and can usually be purchased
          as "PH UP" in the pool section. Check the ingredients for sodium
          carbonate.
        • sgd2945
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
            Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
            soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
            water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which will
            splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
            confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
            highly alkaline product.

            Stephen
            Canberra, Australia

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sgd2945" <sgd@...> wrote:

              > Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
              > soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
              > water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which
              will
              > splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
              > confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
              > highly alkaline product.
              >
              > Stephen
              > Canberra, Australia

              That is correct. In the US it is called LYE. Make up the solution
              according to the directions on the container.

              Never add water to straight caustic, just as you never add water to
              straight acid. Do it the other way around ie. add the powder (or
              liquid) to the measured amount of water. This is standard procedure.

              More about caustic and its uses here (including as a brewing equipment
              cleaner)...
              http://www.chemistrystore.com/Caustic_Soda.htm

              More about copper welding/brazing here...
              http://brazing.com/techguide/procedures/copper_welding.asp

            • mstehelin
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
                not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
                can't see it been overly basic.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
                  > not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
                  > can't see it been overly basic.

                  Acids in contact with copper will give blue tinges, just not as
                  pronounced or as quick as bases. Also be aware that copper sulphate
                  can form in crystals and lodge in the condenser works & packing when
                  the still is left idle for any length of time. Then the next run
                  dissolves the crystals into your booze. That's why you should hose
                  out the still and let it air-dry before storage.

                • mstehelin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                    If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                    should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                      > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                      Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                      cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                      it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                      faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                      still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                      acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                      to 6.

                      Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979

                      An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.

                    • mstehelin
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                        Hmmmm. I put baking soda in all stripped alcohol as a standard
                        practice. I noticed that when the booze is stripped it comes out
                        clear. It looks good. BUT When I add a couple of spoons of Baking soda
                        it develops a blue haze that eventually settles into blue crystals.
                        Could this be any copper ions in the liquid precipitating out?
                        M.

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                        > > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?
                        >

                        > Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                        > cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                        > it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                        > faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                        > still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                        > acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                        > to 6.
                        >
                        > Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979
                        >
                        > An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                        >

                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                      • oz_distiller
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
                          I know it's an old thread....but I clean my gear with the hot slop,
                          just throw all your bits in your boiler when you've finished the run.
                          Don't forget to take your backins first though!

                          AKA as CoopsOz from HD.org