new to group

  • jim santarchangelo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello Tony,
      thankyou,I'm looking foreward to this.This is all new to me,still have my cherry. If you have anything that make my start easier,please tell me .Later Jim.

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 14, 2007
        Hello everyone. My question is how can I tell what "proof" the alcohol
        is?
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
          At 06:29 PM 11/14/2007, you wrote:

          >Hello everyone. My question is how can I tell what "proof" the alcohol

          Get a measuring cylinder, like this one:
          http://www.brewhaus.com/250ml_Measure_p/40005210.htm

          Then get an alcoholometer, like this one:
          http://www.brewhaus.com/Alcoholmeter_30cm_p/40005005.htm

          Put some alcohol in the cylinder, float the alcoholometer, and read it,
          then correct for temperature.

          Double the percentage it reads to get "proof".

          If you get a reading of 80%, then you have 160-proof liquor.

          Old-time moonshiners used to shake the liquor in a jar, and observe the
          bubbles to determine proof. Bubbles are formed at a different size, and
          rise at a different speed, depending on what percentage of alcohol is in
          the liquid.
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
            Hi Tom - Welcome aboard,

            There are 2 types of Hydrometers to tell alcohol by volume.

            One type is the Wine or Beer Hydrometer that gives the specific
            gravity of the mash, wort, must etc before distillation and the
            amount of sugar and potential alcohol in it. You take an intial
            reading before fermenting, then a reading after fementation and
            subtract the 2 readings - this gives you the potential alcohol in it.

            The other type is the alcohol hydrometer or proof hydrometer that
            measures amount of alcohol by volume in a distilled liquid. It
            usually has on it "Proof & Tralle - Scale for spirit U.S. Custom
            House" (at least here in the US it does).

            If you dont have one of these - try the old method - put some in a
            spoon and light it (actually they put it in black gunpower in the
            old days) - if it dont burn its below 40% (80 proof), if it burns
            with a light blue flame only its 40 - 50% (80 - 100 proof),
            if it burns with a hot blue flame and some yellow on top then its at
            least "proof" (50% or more - ie. "over proof"), if it blows up in
            your face - then you know you have some real hootch :):):).

            Then of course, theres the more subjective method - take a shot
            glass, and keep pouring and drinking till you see double - count the
            shots (if you remember) and using your past drinking history
            experiences - calculate backwards (not the suggested way of doing
            it :):).

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <harley_tom2002@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello everyone. My question is how can I tell what "proof" the
            alcohol
            > is?

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007