Possible blue tint

  • xylic75
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      I have just finished blending a run after letting it set for a week
      on glass (pure product, nothing else was added yet).

      Every single bottle before blending was crystal clear. Rather than
      run a distilled water run I picked up a bottle at the local grocery
      store. After blending down to 45% and letting it set overnight it
      has a vaguely blue tint.

      This was a rum wash made from brown sugar, "distiller's yeast", and
      a small can of tomato sauce.

      My setup is a stainless steel reflux still that a detune for rum.
      The only copper currently involved with the system is a copper cap
      at the top. (Replaced a black rubber stopper 2 runs ago that was
      there that had caused "off" smells in the past)

      I have read of distillate coming out with a blue tint due to getting
      to far into the tails. I have read of distillate coming out blue
      due to there being ammonia in it. I have read of it being blue due
      to copper acetate.

      However this is a first for me. Searched about and I didn't notice
      any mention of product turning blue after cutting with distilled
      water.

      It has a vaguely sweet smell and a light rum taste at the moment,
      but I was wanting to see everyone's thoughts before letting it set.
      No ammonia smell at all.

      Thanks in advance,
      xyl