Hoses and neutral alcohol

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27 11:42 PM
      It's been quiet here so I'll post you a short story about hoses and
      neutral alcohol. To say it short I was a sucker and trusted a
      silicone hoses once again. This time I had a ventilation hose in my
      rig that got periodically filled with cold 95.6% stuff. The ethanol
      that came out sniffed quite neutral and even a quick blending test
      showed no problems. Soo, I mixed a bottle of vodka from that stuff
      and left it to blend for few weeks. Last weekend I decided it was
      time for a nice G&T and used that bottle for mixing. The result was
      odd tasting drink. After checking things I noticed that tonic was
      good and the vodka had developed an offtaste during storage (in
      glass bottle). Further checking revealed the whole 3 liter batch of
      95.6% I had left was contaminated with same off taste. Now I started
      thinking about this and the old brain finally produced a memory of
      similar offtaste from the days I did my first ARC experiments -
      again using silicone hoses in contact with 95.6% stuff. Yep, I had
      been fooled again. I replaced that piece of hose with copper pipe
      and ran the contaminated alcohol through again - resulting perfectly
      neutral alcohol this time.

      The moral of the story, do not trust any plastic hoses in contact
      with 95.6% stuff. This silicone I was using was supposed to be food
      grade stuff and everything. The funny thing is that the
      offtaste "developed" while the alcohol was stored and was not
      detectable immediately after distillation. So, use copper pipe, SS
      funnel and appropriately placed bottle instead of those bloody
      hoses.

      Cheers, Riku
    • Jason Davies
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 1:20 AM
        What is this blending test you speak of  ???????

        How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28 1:24 AM
          Well, it's generally a good idea to dilute a sample down to 30-35% ABV
          before sensory test. Flavors and offtastes will be more be more
          detectable below 38% ABV as they are no longer masked by alcohol
          fumes. Perhaps I should have talked about diluting - not blending
          (with water).

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Davies <notrealy67@...>