Re: reflux still conversion to pot still

  • emailbenja
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2007
      Hi James
      Ah this old chestnut...
      Essentially, you built a reflux still, and are stuck with it. However
      there are ways to detune this still, and changing collection and
      running methods will get an output approximating that of a pot still.
      As you suggest, removing the packing is a good start, although you
      will still be getting a lot of separation in the column. Pity yours is
      packed with broken glass- thats gonna be messy!
      Other methods include running faster (ie more output per minute) than
      what you do for a reflux run, which can be achieved in one of two
      ways- more heat, or less cooling, but keep a watchful eye, as most
      reflux stills are happy running in their fairly tight tolerances.
      Another method is collecting further into the tails, and mixing the
      whole lot back together to give a lower ABV product (say 60-70%). This
      introduces more nasties(albeit in small amounts) but also more flavour.
      Probably the simplest thing you can do is build another column (i know
      the missus doesn't want you to spend more money, so just hide it from
      her for a while, till she gets hooked on your juice). This should be
      much shorter, with the condenser offset from the column (look at pot
      still designs and you will get the idea.
      I know a lot of people will have different ideas about this, but these
      have worked for me.
      Good luck!
      Benja