Re: [new_distillers] Marmite, Vegemite - back to the source

  • John Wheeler
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2007
      That's a very good idea - I had been wondering about that.  Is there a generally accepted or "best practice" for saving spent yeast?  I have been using servomyces (sp?) for a while, and it's worked fantastically.

      Can you just pour out the old yeast after you've racked and then boil it down to a paste?

      Thanks!

      --John

      On 5/22/07, waljaco < waljaco@...> wrote:

      The main source for Marmite, Vegemite, Promite etc. is spent yeast -
      torula yeast, brewer's yeast etc. So it would be better (cheaper, no
      additives) to save your lees from a previous fermentation and reuse
      them in your new mash as a vitamin B source for the new yeast.
      wal