Re: Getting Started

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2007
      At 12:56 AM 05/25/2007, you wrote:

      >Years ago I used to distill using a mash of just sugar and yeast, can
      >anyone give me an idea of the ratio of both the sugar and the yeast, to
      >water.

      Recipe will vary somewhat with the yeast you're using.

      If using Turbo-Pure 48 yeast, which can be had from www.brewhaus.com,
      www.milehidistilling.com, or many of the various distilling websites, each
      packet has instructions printed on it. They are pretty much as follows:

      Dissolve 13-17 pounds sugar into 2 gallons of hot water. Don't boil the
      water, or even get overly close to it's boiling point, to avoid loss of
      dissolved oxygen.

      Make certain the sugar is completely dissolved before continuing.

      Add cool water to make 6.5 US Gallons of wash and to cool the dissolving
      water.

      Stir vigorously, to aerate as much as possible, and maybe cool a little more.

      Make sure water temp is under 104 degrees before adding yeast.

      Add yeast and stir until no more yeast particles are visible.

      Allow to ferment at 68-86 degrees air temp for 2-7 days. If it's still
      bubbling, leave it alone until whenever it stops.

      Other yeasts, (like even Fleishmann's Baking Yeast from the grocery store),
      may need a different recipe.

      If you put in less sugar, you get less alcohol, but if you put in too much,
      you can mess yourself up royally, so err on the conservative side, if
      you're going to err.