Re: [new_distillers] Re: New question

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3 7:51 AM
      Brandon,

      Did you run Specific Gravity at the beginning of
      fermentation? What was it? What is it now?

      Yes, It is 'possible' that there is still (a little
      distiller's lingo there) fermentation. Your
      container/airlock might not be sealed properly, etc or
      just that the fermentation has just slowed enough...

      Link

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3 3:50 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
        > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
        > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
        > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
        > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
        > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
        > get a few dribbles out...

        You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
        desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
        by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in relation
        to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar potential is
        not uncommon.

        Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average is 8%.
        Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the alcohol
        yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
        azeotrope (95.6%abv).

        Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus the
        yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a total
        of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If using a
        potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.

        These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower yield
        than that, you're doing ok.

        HTH

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3 6:37 PM
          You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this knowledge? :))

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

          Powered by Outblaze
          Message 4 of 13 , May 4 3:03 AM
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
            wrote:

            > You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this
            knowledge? :))

            Heh, I have been accused of having a big head. ;)

            But seriously, much of it comes from relentless hours of research &
            study. These days I rely on my computer hard drives to keep it all.
            Easy enough to search with the operating system's search facility.
            There's about 5 or 6 gig there that I haven't even had time to put in
            the online Library yet.

          • yagr11
            Message 5 of 13 , May 4 7:05 AM

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
              > > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
              > > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet
              drink
              > > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
              > > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to
              ferment
              > > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
              > > get a few dribbles out...
              > >

              > You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
              > desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
              > by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in
              relation
              > to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar
              potential is
              > not uncommon.
              >
              > Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average
              is 8%.
              > Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the
              alcohol
              > yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
              > azeotrope (95.6%abv).
              >
              > Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus
              the
              > yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a
              total
              > of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If
              using a
              > potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.
              >
              > These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower
              yield
              > than that, you're doing ok.
              >

              > HTH
              >
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to distill it this
              evening and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Funny thing, if
              Harry is correct, I may have dumped a couple good washes in the past
              month, thinking that I had a stuck fermentation! Well, live and
              learn. Brandon