Re: New question

    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

      > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to be
      as
      > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post (30+
      > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to dump
      > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
      > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
      sure
      > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
      > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
      not
      > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
      > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
      > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see if
      it
      > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
      >
      > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
      > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
      > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
      > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content we
      > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
      > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol content
      > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
      time?
      > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
      > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw up"???
      >
      > Thanks a ton! Brandon

      Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the ferment
      may be stuck.

      If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.

      Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.

    • yagr11
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2007

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to
        be
        > as
        > > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post
        (30+
        > > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to
        dump
        > > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
        > > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
        > sure
        > > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
        > > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
        > not
        > > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
        > > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
        > > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see
        if
        > it
        > > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
        > >
        > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today,
        > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
        > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
        > > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content
        we
        > > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
        > > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol
        content
        > > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
        > time?
        > > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
        > > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw
        up"???

        > > Thanks a ton! Brandon
        >

        > Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the
        ferment
        > may be stuck.
        >
        > If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.
        >
        > Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
        so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
        12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
        before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
        shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
        out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
        get a few dribbles out...
      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2007
          Brandon,

          Did you run Specific Gravity at the beginning of
          fermentation? What was it? What is it now?

          Yes, It is 'possible' that there is still (a little
          distiller's lingo there) fermentation. Your
          container/airlock might not be sealed properly, etc or
          just that the fermentation has just slowed enough...

          Link

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
            > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
            > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
            > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
            > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
            > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
            > get a few dribbles out...

            You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
            desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
            by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in relation
            to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar potential is
            not uncommon.

            Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average is 8%.
            Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the alcohol
            yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
            azeotrope (95.6%abv).

            Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus the
            yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a total
            of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If using a
            potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.

            These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower yield
            than that, you're doing ok.

            HTH

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2007
              You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this knowledge? :))

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

              Powered by Outblaze
              Message 6 of 13 , May 4, 2007
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                wrote:

                > You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this
                knowledge? :))

                Heh, I have been accused of having a big head. ;)

                But seriously, much of it comes from relentless hours of research &
                study. These days I rely on my computer hard drives to keep it all.
                Easy enough to search with the operating system's search facility.
                There's about 5 or 6 gig there that I haven't even had time to put in
                the online Library yet.

              • yagr11
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2007

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
                  > > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
                  > > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet
                  drink
                  > > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
                  > > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to
                  ferment
                  > > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
                  > > get a few dribbles out...
                  > >

                  > You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
                  > desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
                  > by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in
                  relation
                  > to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar
                  potential is
                  > not uncommon.
                  >
                  > Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average
                  is 8%.
                  > Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the
                  alcohol
                  > yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
                  > azeotrope (95.6%abv).
                  >
                  > Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus
                  the
                  > yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a
                  total
                  > of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If
                  using a
                  > potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.
                  >
                  > These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower
                  yield
                  > than that, you're doing ok.
                  >

                  > HTH
                  >
                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to distill it this
                  evening and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Funny thing, if
                  Harry is correct, I may have dumped a couple good washes in the past
                  month, thinking that I had a stuck fermentation! Well, live and
                  learn. Brandon