Re: New question

  • sbr_f
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, scotty@... wrote:

      > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
      > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
      > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
      >
      > Like all fermentations,is there a yeast head, have you checked with a
      > hydrometer and such. Gas likes to leak out of nooks and crannies...
      >
      > Scotty

      Scotty.. What was your starting spg and your target ending spg? Take
      your wine theif and check your spg...... if its way high to your
      ending target youv probably got a "hung fermentation" {i love that term}
      caused by bad hygene sp or wild temp changes or movement of the
      fermenting wash...the yeasty guys are bitchy!!!! How far off are you
      of your target????

      Good luck
      sbr
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

        > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to be
        as
        > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post (30+
        > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to dump
        > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
        > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
        sure
        > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
        > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
        not
        > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
        > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
        > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see if
        it
        > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
        >
        > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
        > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
        > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
        > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content we
        > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
        > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol content
        > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
        time?
        > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
        > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw up"???
        >
        > Thanks a ton! Brandon

        Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the ferment
        may be stuck.

        If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.

        Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.

      • yagr11
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2007

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to
          be
          > as
          > > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post
          (30+
          > > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to
          dump
          > > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
          > > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
          > sure
          > > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
          > > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
          > not
          > > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
          > > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
          > > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see
          if
          > it
          > > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
          > >
          > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today,
          > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
          > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
          > > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content
          we
          > > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
          > > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol
          content
          > > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
          > time?
          > > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
          > > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw
          up"???

          > > Thanks a ton! Brandon
          >

          > Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the
          ferment
          > may be stuck.
          >
          > If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.
          >
          > Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
          so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
          12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
          before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
          shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
          out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
          get a few dribbles out...
        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2007
            Brandon,

            Did you run Specific Gravity at the beginning of
            fermentation? What was it? What is it now?

            Yes, It is 'possible' that there is still (a little
            distiller's lingo there) fermentation. Your
            container/airlock might not be sealed properly, etc or
            just that the fermentation has just slowed enough...

            Link

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
              > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
              > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
              > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
              > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
              > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
              > get a few dribbles out...

              You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
              desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
              by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in relation
              to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar potential is
              not uncommon.

              Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average is 8%.
              Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the alcohol
              yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
              azeotrope (95.6%abv).

              Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus the
              yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a total
              of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If using a
              potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.

              These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower yield
              than that, you're doing ok.

              HTH

            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this knowledge? :))

                SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                Powered by Outblaze
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2007
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                  wrote:

                  > You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this
                  knowledge? :))

                  Heh, I have been accused of having a big head. ;)

                  But seriously, much of it comes from relentless hours of research &
                  study. These days I rely on my computer hard drives to keep it all.
                  Easy enough to search with the operating system's search facility.
                  There's about 5 or 6 gig there that I haven't even had time to put in
                  the online Library yet.

                • yagr11
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2007

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
                    > > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
                    > > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet
                    drink
                    > > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
                    > > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to
                    ferment
                    > > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
                    > > get a few dribbles out...
                    > >

                    > You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
                    > desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
                    > by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in
                    relation
                    > to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar
                    potential is
                    > not uncommon.
                    >
                    > Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average
                    is 8%.
                    > Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the
                    alcohol
                    > yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
                    > azeotrope (95.6%abv).
                    >
                    > Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus
                    the
                    > yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a
                    total
                    > of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If
                    using a
                    > potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.
                    >
                    > These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower
                    yield
                    > than that, you're doing ok.
                    >

                    > HTH
                    >
                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry

                    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to distill it this
                    evening and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Funny thing, if
                    Harry is correct, I may have dumped a couple good washes in the past
                    month, thinking that I had a stuck fermentation! Well, live and
                    learn. Brandon