Re: [new_distillers] Re: New question

  • scotty@onlinebrewing.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2007

      > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
      > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
      > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to

      Like all fermentations,is there a yeast head, have you checked with a
      hydrometer and such. Gas likes to leak out of nooks and crannies...

      Scotty
    • sbr_f
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, scotty@... wrote:

        > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
        > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
        > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
        >
        > Like all fermentations,is there a yeast head, have you checked with a
        > hydrometer and such. Gas likes to leak out of nooks and crannies...
        >
        > Scotty

        Scotty.. What was your starting spg and your target ending spg? Take
        your wine theif and check your spg...... if its way high to your
        ending target youv probably got a "hung fermentation" {i love that term}
        caused by bad hygene sp or wild temp changes or movement of the
        fermenting wash...the yeasty guys are bitchy!!!! How far off are you
        of your target????

        Good luck
        sbr
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

          > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to be
          as
          > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post (30+
          > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to dump
          > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
          > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
          sure
          > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
          > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
          not
          > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
          > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
          > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see if
          it
          > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
          >
          > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
          > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
          > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
          > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content we
          > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
          > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol content
          > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
          time?
          > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
          > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw up"???
          >
          > Thanks a ton! Brandon

          Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the ferment
          may be stuck.

          If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.

          Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.

        • yagr11
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2007

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to
            be
            > as
            > > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post
            (30+
            > > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to
            dump
            > > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
            > > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
            > sure
            > > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
            > > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
            > not
            > > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
            > > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
            > > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see
            if
            > it
            > > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
            > >
            > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today,
            > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
            > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
            > > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content
            we
            > > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
            > > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol
            content
            > > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
            > time?
            > > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
            > > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw
            up"???

            > > Thanks a ton! Brandon
            >

            > Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the
            ferment
            > may be stuck.
            >
            > If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.
            >
            > Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
            so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
            12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
            before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
            shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
            out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
            get a few dribbles out...
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2007
              Brandon,

              Did you run Specific Gravity at the beginning of
              fermentation? What was it? What is it now?

              Yes, It is 'possible' that there is still (a little
              distiller's lingo there) fermentation. Your
              container/airlock might not be sealed properly, etc or
              just that the fermentation has just slowed enough...

              Link

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
                > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
                > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
                > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
                > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
                > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
                > get a few dribbles out...

                You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
                desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
                by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in relation
                to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar potential is
                not uncommon.

                Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average is 8%.
                Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the alcohol
                yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
                azeotrope (95.6%abv).

                Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus the
                yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a total
                of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If using a
                potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.

                These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower yield
                than that, you're doing ok.

                HTH

              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                  You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this knowledge? :))

                  SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                  http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                  Powered by Outblaze
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2007
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                    wrote:

                    > You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this
                    knowledge? :))

                    Heh, I have been accused of having a big head. ;)

                    But seriously, much of it comes from relentless hours of research &
                    study. These days I rely on my computer hard drives to keep it all.
                    Easy enough to search with the operating system's search facility.
                    There's about 5 or 6 gig there that I haven't even had time to put in
                    the online Library yet.

                  • yagr11
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2007

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
                      > > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
                      > > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet
                      drink
                      > > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
                      > > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to
                      ferment
                      > > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
                      > > get a few dribbles out...
                      > >

                      > You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
                      > desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
                      > by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in
                      relation
                      > to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar
                      potential is
                      > not uncommon.
                      >
                      > Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average
                      is 8%.
                      > Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the
                      alcohol
                      > yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
                      > azeotrope (95.6%abv).
                      >
                      > Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus
                      the
                      > yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a
                      total
                      > of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If
                      using a
                      > potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.
                      >
                      > These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower
                      yield
                      > than that, you're doing ok.
                      >

                      > HTH
                      >
                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                      Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to distill it this
                      evening and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Funny thing, if
                      Harry is correct, I may have dumped a couple good washes in the past
                      month, thinking that I had a stuck fermentation! Well, live and
                      learn. Brandon