Re: New question

  • yagr11
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2007
      Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to be as
      this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post (30+
      days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to dump
      and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
      brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made sure
      that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
      suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was not
      as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
      includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
      even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see if it
      would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......

      Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
      get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
      gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
      ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content we
      want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
      fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol content
      after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this time?
      And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
      that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw up"???

      Thanks a ton! Brandon

    • scotty@onlinebrewing.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2007

        > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
        > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
        > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to

        Like all fermentations,is there a yeast head, have you checked with a
        hydrometer and such. Gas likes to leak out of nooks and crannies...

        Scotty
      • sbr_f
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, scotty@... wrote:

          > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
          > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
          > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
          >
          > Like all fermentations,is there a yeast head, have you checked with a
          > hydrometer and such. Gas likes to leak out of nooks and crannies...
          >
          > Scotty

          Scotty.. What was your starting spg and your target ending spg? Take
          your wine theif and check your spg...... if its way high to your
          ending target youv probably got a "hung fermentation" {i love that term}
          caused by bad hygene sp or wild temp changes or movement of the
          fermenting wash...the yeasty guys are bitchy!!!! How far off are you
          of your target????

          Good luck
          sbr
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

            > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to be
            as
            > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post (30+
            > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to dump
            > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
            > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
            sure
            > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
            > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
            not
            > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
            > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
            > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see if
            it
            > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
            >
            > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today, I
            > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
            > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
            > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content we
            > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
            > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol content
            > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
            time?
            > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
            > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw up"???
            >
            > Thanks a ton! Brandon

            Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the ferment
            may be stuck.

            If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.

            Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.

          • yagr11
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2007

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ok...so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Not a good place to
              be
              > as
              > > this is supposed to be a fun new hobby! :) Since last post
              (30+
              > > days ago), I took a little time off (as I had already had to
              dump
              > > and start over 3 times) and decided to give this infamous peach
              > > brandy another shot (yes, for the 4th time). This time, I made
              > sure
              > > that my proportions were more along the lines that Harry and Wal
              > > suggested (see below). I added additional water so the mash was
              > not
              > > as thick etc. The total mash is approximately 5 gallons, which
              > > includes 12 lbs fruit and 5 lbs sugar...the rest being water. I
              > > even added a small can of tomato paste this time around to see
              if
              > it
              > > would be a good nutrient for the yeast. Well......
              > >
              > > Everything was looking good for the first 2.5 days until today,
              > > get home from work and it looks as if the air lock is still. No
              > > gasses whatsoever coming out anymore. I thought it needed to
              > > ferment for closer to a week to really get the alcohol content
              we
              > > want. So...my questions (this time) are: could it still be
              > > fermenting? If not, is it possible to get a good alcohol
              content
              > > after only a couple days? What might I have done wrong this
              > time?
              > > And finally........ Is there a more recommended "starter batch"
              > > that you guys could recommend that may be harder to "screw
              up"???

              > > Thanks a ton! Brandon
              >

              > Taste it (trust me, it won't hurt you). If it's sweet, the
              ferment
              > may be stuck.
              >
              > If it's not sweet, then it's finished. Distil it.
              >
              > Get back to us after the taste test with an observation.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
              so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
              12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
              before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
              shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
              out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
              get a few dribbles out...
            • Link D'Antoni
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                Brandon,

                Did you run Specific Gravity at the beginning of
                fermentation? What was it? What is it now?

                Yes, It is 'possible' that there is still (a little
                distiller's lingo there) fermentation. Your
                container/airlock might not be sealed properly, etc or
                just that the fermentation has just slowed enough...

                Link

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
                  > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
                  > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
                  > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
                  > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
                  > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
                  > get a few dribbles out...

                  You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
                  desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
                  by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in relation
                  to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar potential is
                  not uncommon.

                  Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average is 8%.
                  Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the alcohol
                  yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
                  azeotrope (95.6%abv).

                  Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus the
                  yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a total
                  of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If using a
                  potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.

                  These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower yield
                  than that, you're doing ok.

                  HTH

                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                    You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this knowledge? :))

                    SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                    Powered by Outblaze
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2007
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                      wrote:

                      > You are a bloody marvel, Harry. Where do you store all this
                      knowledge? :))

                      Heh, I have been accused of having a big head. ;)

                      But seriously, much of it comes from relentless hours of research &
                      study. These days I rely on my computer hard drives to keep it all.
                      Easy enough to search with the operating system's search facility.
                      There's about 5 or 6 gig there that I haven't even had time to put in
                      the online Library yet.

                    • yagr11
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2007

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
                        > > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
                        > > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet
                        drink
                        > > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
                        > > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to
                        ferment
                        > > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
                        > > get a few dribbles out...
                        > >

                        > You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
                        > desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
                        > by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in
                        relation
                        > to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar
                        potential is
                        > not uncommon.
                        >
                        > Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average
                        is 8%.
                        > Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the
                        alcohol
                        > yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
                        > azeotrope (95.6%abv).
                        >
                        > Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus
                        the
                        > yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a
                        total
                        > of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If
                        using a
                        > potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.
                        >
                        > These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower
                        yield
                        > than that, you're doing ok.
                        >

                        > HTH
                        >
                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        Thanks so much for the advice! I'm going to try to distill it this
                        evening and I'll let you know how it all turns out. Funny thing, if
                        Harry is correct, I may have dumped a couple good washes in the past
                        month, thinking that I had a stuck fermentation! Well, live and
                        learn. Brandon