Re: YEast....

    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
      wrote:
      <snip>
      > Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
      > big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
      > making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
      > add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.

      Taking that approach a step further towards self-sufficiency, you can
      always try your hand at yeast ranching.

      It's not really worth it just to save a couple of bucks. Yeast is
      cheap. But it is an interesting side-issue to the hobby. Further, if
      you manage to breed or otherwise acquire a particularly choice yeast
      that fulfills all your desires flavour-wise and performance-wise, then
      ranching, refrigerating the samples and even freezing (with glycerine)
      makes sense. That way you can always reproduce your results. It's
      really an achievement to grow up a pitchable colony from a single
      yeast cell. A great feeling of satisfaction.

      This hobby is a never ending source of varied interest.

    • Scott Morgan
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2007
        Sorry - per hecto (100) litres. Gives 10 to the 6th cells per milliliter.

        Scotty

      • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2007
          hi geoff
          i love this hobby too. i know that each batch i run the queen with all
          her money can't enjoy one drop of my run. her people may come close to
          what i have but it will never be the same. LOL
          slough

          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2007
            hi
            if you go to the gutenberg website you can download this book free.

            http://www.gutenberg.org

            Title: The Practical Distiller
            An Introduction To Making Whiskey, Gin, Brandy, Spirits,
            &c. &c. of Better Quality, and in Larger Quantities, than
            Produced by the Present Mode of Distilling, from the
            Produce
            of the United States

            Author: Samuel McHarry

            Release Date: April 29, 2007 [EBook #21252]

            Language: English

            Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1

            looks interesting.

            slough
            from AOL at AOL.com.
          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2007
              Thanks Derek,

              That's the answer I was looking for. I usually use EC1118 looking for the higher etho output but was wondering about bakers yeast. Back in the grog sodden recesses of my mind, I remember my father making beer using what seemed to a yeast that sorts resembled a chunk of puff pastry.

              Having never used bakers yeast I'll give it a go on my next batch of Harry's GGGP's Rum.

              I've just finished an eight generation run of Uncle Jesse's sour mash using EC1118 with great results and next time I'll use bakers yeast to compare. Trouble is I was hoping to leave it on wood for two years and by then I'll probably be dead.

              Makes for a fine wake I guess. :)

              blanikdog

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

              Powered by Outblaze
            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                How about fresh bakers yeast from the bakery.
                The local baker gives me about 200gm for AUD$2.00 enough for 2 molasses batches.

                Ian...