Re: [new_distillers] Re: YEast....

  • Scott Morgan
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2007
      burrows2418 wrote:

      > Hi Slough,
      > With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
      > atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
      > start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
      > ferments.
      >

      > e: 1/05/2007 2:57 PM

      Another way to manipulate is to hit the medium with high levels of O2
      and the yeast will continue to bud not ferment. This is the main
      propagation method for some commercial producers, they can go on for
      weeks producing cells..

      Once released to ferment a lower gravity (SG 1.040 and below) is
      preferred so as to provide a more viable yeast. As mentioned previously,
      the higher ferment should be seeded with healthy yeast of a lower OG.

      2l of thick viable slurry is the rule for high OG ferments on my side of
      the world.. viable cells equals healthy yeast, reliable ferments,
      attenuation and floculation...

      Scotty
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2007
        2 litres of thick slurry to how much wash? Seems like a heck of a lot
        for 5 gallons (US or UK).
        Cheers
        Rob.

        --- Scott Morgan <scotty@...> wrote:

        > burrows2418 wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Slough,
        > > With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
        > > atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
        > > start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
        > > ferments.
        > >

        > > e: 1/05/2007 2:57 PM
        > >

        > Another way to manipulate is to hit the medium with high levels of O2
        >
        > and the yeast will continue to bud not ferment. This is the main
        > propagation method for some commercial producers, they can go on for
        > weeks producing cells..
        >
        > Once released to ferment a lower gravity (SG 1.040 and below) is
        > preferred so as to provide a more viable yeast. As mentioned
        > previously,
        > the higher ferment should be seeded with healthy yeast of a lower OG.
        >
        > 2l of thick viable slurry is the rule for high OG ferments on my side
        > of
        > the world.. viable cells equals healthy yeast, reliable ferments,
        > attenuation and floculation...
        >
        > Scotty
        >

        > > begin:vcard
        > fn:Scotty Morgan
        > n:Morgan;Scotty
        > org:NNL Beer Supplies
        > adr:;;PO Box 544;Bright;VIC;3741;Australia
        > email;internet:scotty@...
        > title:Brewer
        > tel;work:skype:southcoastrealale
        > tel;cell:0419545114
        > note:skype:southcoastrealale
        > url:http://www.nnlbeersupplies.com.au
        > version:2.1
        > end:vcard

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2007
          Another voice in the wilderness says that I use Lalvin EC 1118 or
          EC1116. They have higher tolerance for alcohol and can ferment out
          higher. Mind you if you are really going for "taste" in your product
          then higher alcohol wash is not the way to go according to Harry and
          numerous books on the subject.
          For neutral alcohol though that's what I do.
          Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
          big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
          making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
          add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.
          At 09:43 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:

          >The stuff I have been using latly for molasses washs is the supermarket
          >tpye. (defiance dry bakers yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae) Just like
          >you said, in the flour section. I pay $3.40 AUD for a 96 grm box, good
          >for one molasses wash. I've done 8x25L washs in the last month and so
          >far all have fermented out between 10-12 %, all start bubbling with in
          >20-40 minutes. And it finishes in about 4-6 day depending how much
          >sugar you added to the wash. I hope the link works.
          >
          >Cheers
          >Marc
          >
          ><

          Derek Hamlet
          Victoria, B. C. >:-}
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
            wrote:
            <snip>
            > Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
            > big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
            > making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
            > add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.

            Taking that approach a step further towards self-sufficiency, you can
            always try your hand at yeast ranching.

            It's not really worth it just to save a couple of bucks. Yeast is
            cheap. But it is an interesting side-issue to the hobby. Further, if
            you manage to breed or otherwise acquire a particularly choice yeast
            that fulfills all your desires flavour-wise and performance-wise, then
            ranching, refrigerating the samples and even freezing (with glycerine)
            makes sense. That way you can always reproduce your results. It's
            really an achievement to grow up a pitchable colony from a single
            yeast cell. A great feeling of satisfaction.

            This hobby is a never ending source of varied interest.

          • Scott Morgan
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2007
              Sorry - per hecto (100) litres. Gives 10 to the 6th cells per milliliter.

              Scotty

            • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                hi geoff
                i love this hobby too. i know that each batch i run the queen with all
                her money can't enjoy one drop of my run. her people may come close to
                what i have but it will never be the same. LOL
                slough

                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                  hi
                  if you go to the gutenberg website you can download this book free.

                  http://www.gutenberg.org

                  Title: The Practical Distiller
                  An Introduction To Making Whiskey, Gin, Brandy, Spirits,
                  &c. &c. of Better Quality, and in Larger Quantities, than
                  Produced by the Present Mode of Distilling, from the
                  Produce
                  of the United States

                  Author: Samuel McHarry

                  Release Date: April 29, 2007 [EBook #21252]

                  Language: English

                  Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1

                  looks interesting.

                  slough
                  from AOL at AOL.com.
                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                    Thanks Derek,

                    That's the answer I was looking for. I usually use EC1118 looking for the higher etho output but was wondering about bakers yeast. Back in the grog sodden recesses of my mind, I remember my father making beer using what seemed to a yeast that sorts resembled a chunk of puff pastry.

                    Having never used bakers yeast I'll give it a go on my next batch of Harry's GGGP's Rum.

                    I've just finished an eight generation run of Uncle Jesse's sour mash using EC1118 with great results and next time I'll use bakers yeast to compare. Trouble is I was hoping to leave it on wood for two years and by then I'll probably be dead.

                    Makes for a fine wake I guess. :)

                    blanikdog

                    SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • Ian Kent
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                      How about fresh bakers yeast from the bakery.
                      The local baker gives me about 200gm for AUD$2.00 enough for 2 molasses batches.

                      Ian...