Re: YEast....

  • burrows2418
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2007
      Hi Slough,
      With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
      atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
      start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
      ferments.
      Like a problem we got in class at 11 years old at school. Trying to
      explain to us what a "red herring" was. And the problem was.
      Let say if a Placebo takes 10 minutes to reproduce, i.e. split
      in two. And you have a jar that takes one hour to fill exactly to
      the half way mark, with let say 50 million Placebo in there. How
      long will it take to completely fill the jar?
      Well at 11 years old we all said 50million x 1hour but obviously it
      was wrong. And if 50 million all reproduced in 10 minutes the jar
      would be full. So 10 minutes was the correct answer
      What we where suffering with was information overload and it was
      hard to pick out what was relevant for our needs to solve our
      problem. So by you not fully understanding the life cycle of a yeast
      and getting information overload it's hard to figure out what's right
      But if you give yeast

      1 the correct amount of sugar

      2 the right temperature

      3 the right atmospheric conditions

      4 enough time

      5 the right kick start of sufficient yeast at the start

      If you put a small bread making sachet of yeast into your 5
      gallon/25 litres of wash it multiply and will eventually ferment
      out. That's point 4 above if you put in 5 sachets you are off to a
      flying start point 5 above
      If you want the whiz kid speed, go for the turbo wash.
      Or if you want the satisfaction of knowing you made it from
      ingredients from the grocery store and old copper pipe bits from the
      back yard and a lot of knowledge you've learnt on the way as to how
      to do it. Researching about a subject i.e. yeast and it's life cycle
      in the forum library is a good start, type in "yeast life cycle" in
      the forum search panel and read, read, read.
      The more you find out about a subject the more you realize you
      didn't know much about it in the first place, as is so with
      distilling
      Everyone gets what they want from any hobby. Feeling good with
      what I've made and snubbing my nose at authority does it for me, and
      me and "her indoors" get pie eyed into the bargain.
      Geoff

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, SLOUGHVIEW@... wrote:

      > hi
      > you are right and i do use other yeasts than baking yeast. my last
      > batch was a made with a good wine yeast and was the best so far. i
      > have read recipes from time that that say we added this and that
      then
      > pitched in some baking yeast. while they gave the amount for the
      other
      > ingredients they are so vague on how much yeast?
      > i love this site.
      > slough

      __
      free
      > from AOL at AOL.com.
      > =0

    • Scott Morgan
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2007
        burrows2418 wrote:

        > Hi Slough,
        > With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
        > atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
        > start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
        > ferments.
        >

        > e: 1/05/2007 2:57 PM

        Another way to manipulate is to hit the medium with high levels of O2
        and the yeast will continue to bud not ferment. This is the main
        propagation method for some commercial producers, they can go on for
        weeks producing cells..

        Once released to ferment a lower gravity (SG 1.040 and below) is
        preferred so as to provide a more viable yeast. As mentioned previously,
        the higher ferment should be seeded with healthy yeast of a lower OG.

        2l of thick viable slurry is the rule for high OG ferments on my side of
        the world.. viable cells equals healthy yeast, reliable ferments,
        attenuation and floculation...

        Scotty
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2007
          2 litres of thick slurry to how much wash? Seems like a heck of a lot
          for 5 gallons (US or UK).
          Cheers
          Rob.

          --- Scott Morgan <scotty@...> wrote:

          > burrows2418 wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Slough,
          > > With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
          > > atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
          > > start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
          > > ferments.
          > >

          > > e: 1/05/2007 2:57 PM
          > >

          > Another way to manipulate is to hit the medium with high levels of O2
          >
          > and the yeast will continue to bud not ferment. This is the main
          > propagation method for some commercial producers, they can go on for
          > weeks producing cells..
          >
          > Once released to ferment a lower gravity (SG 1.040 and below) is
          > preferred so as to provide a more viable yeast. As mentioned
          > previously,
          > the higher ferment should be seeded with healthy yeast of a lower OG.
          >
          > 2l of thick viable slurry is the rule for high OG ferments on my side
          > of
          > the world.. viable cells equals healthy yeast, reliable ferments,
          > attenuation and floculation...
          >
          > Scotty
          >

          > > begin:vcard
          > fn:Scotty Morgan
          > n:Morgan;Scotty
          > org:NNL Beer Supplies
          > adr:;;PO Box 544;Bright;VIC;3741;Australia
          > email;internet:scotty@...
          > title:Brewer
          > tel;work:skype:southcoastrealale
          > tel;cell:0419545114
          > note:skype:southcoastrealale
          > url:http://www.nnlbeersupplies.com.au
          > version:2.1
          > end:vcard

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2007
            Another voice in the wilderness says that I use Lalvin EC 1118 or
            EC1116. They have higher tolerance for alcohol and can ferment out
            higher. Mind you if you are really going for "taste" in your product
            then higher alcohol wash is not the way to go according to Harry and
            numerous books on the subject.
            For neutral alcohol though that's what I do.
            Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
            big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
            making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
            add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.
            At 09:43 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:

            >The stuff I have been using latly for molasses washs is the supermarket
            >tpye. (defiance dry bakers yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae) Just like
            >you said, in the flour section. I pay $3.40 AUD for a 96 grm box, good
            >for one molasses wash. I've done 8x25L washs in the last month and so
            >far all have fermented out between 10-12 %, all start bubbling with in
            >20-40 minutes. And it finishes in about 4-6 day depending how much
            >sugar you added to the wash. I hope the link works.
            >
            >Cheers
            >Marc
            >
            ><

            Derek Hamlet
            Victoria, B. C. >:-}
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
              wrote:
              <snip>
              > Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
              > big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
              > making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
              > add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.

              Taking that approach a step further towards self-sufficiency, you can
              always try your hand at yeast ranching.

              It's not really worth it just to save a couple of bucks. Yeast is
              cheap. But it is an interesting side-issue to the hobby. Further, if
              you manage to breed or otherwise acquire a particularly choice yeast
              that fulfills all your desires flavour-wise and performance-wise, then
              ranching, refrigerating the samples and even freezing (with glycerine)
              makes sense. That way you can always reproduce your results. It's
              really an achievement to grow up a pitchable colony from a single
              yeast cell. A great feeling of satisfaction.

              This hobby is a never ending source of varied interest.

            • Scott Morgan
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                Sorry - per hecto (100) litres. Gives 10 to the 6th cells per milliliter.

                Scotty

              • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                  hi geoff
                  i love this hobby too. i know that each batch i run the queen with all
                  her money can't enjoy one drop of my run. her people may come close to
                  what i have but it will never be the same. LOL
                  slough

                  With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
                  atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
                  start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
                  ferments.
                  Like a problem we got in class at 11 years old at school. Trying to
                  explain to us what a "red herring" was. And the problem was.
                  Let say if a Placebo takes 10 minutes to reproduce, i.e. split
                  in two. And you have a jar that takes one hour to fill exactly to
                  the half way mark, with let say 50 million Placebo in there. How
                  long will it take to completely fill the jar?
                  Well at 11 years old we all said 50million x 1hour but obviously it
                  was wrong. And if 50 million all reproduced in 10 minutes the jar
                  would be full. So 10 minutes was the correct answer
                  What we where suffering with was information overload and it was
                  hard to pick out what was relevant for our needs to solve our
                  problem. So by you not fully understanding the life cycle of a yeast
                  and getting information overload it's hard to figure out what's right
                  But if you give yeast

                  1 the correct amount of sugar

                  2 the right temperature

                  3 the right atmospheric conditions

                  4 enough time

                  5 the right kick start of sufficient yeast at the start

                  If you put a small bread making sachet of yeast into your 5
                  gallon/25 litres of wash it multiply and will eventually ferment
                  out. That's point 4 above if you put in 5 sachets you are off to a
                  flying start point 5 above
                  If you want the whiz kid speed, go for the turbo wash.
                  Or if you want the satisfaction of knowing you made it from
                  ingredients from the grocery store and old copper pipe bits from the
                  back yard and a lot of knowledge you've learnt on the way as to how
                  to do it. Researching about a subject i.e. yeast and it's life cycle
                  in the forum library is a good start, type in "yeast life cycle" in
                  the forum search panel and read, read, read.
                  The more you find out about a subject the more you realize you
                  didn't know much about it in the first place, as is so with
                  distilling
                  Everyone gets what they want from any hobby. Feeling good with
                  what I've made and snubbing my nose at authority does it for me, and
                  me and "her indoors" get pie eyed into the bargain.
                  Geoff

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, SLOUGHVIEW@... wrote:

                  > hi
                  > you are right and i do use other yeasts than baking yeast. my last
                  > batch was a made with a good wine yeast and was the best so far. i
                  > have read recipes from time that that say we added this and that
                  then
                  > pitched in some baking yeast. while they gave the amount for the
                  other
                  > ingredients they are so vague on how much yeast?
                  > i love this site.
                  > slough

                  __
                  free
                  > from AOL at AOL.com.
                  > =0

                  from AOL at AOL.com.
                  =0
                • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                    hi
                    if you go to the gutenberg website you can download this book free.

                    http://www.gutenberg.org

                    Title: The Practical Distiller
                    An Introduction To Making Whiskey, Gin, Brandy, Spirits,
                    &c. &c. of Better Quality, and in Larger Quantities, than
                    Produced by the Present Mode of Distilling, from the
                    Produce
                    of the United States

                    Author: Samuel McHarry

                    Release Date: April 29, 2007 [EBook #21252]

                    Language: English

                    Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1

                    looks interesting.

                    slough
                    from AOL at AOL.com.
                  • sonum norbu
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                      Thanks Derek,

                      That's the answer I was looking for. I usually use EC1118 looking for the higher etho output but was wondering about bakers yeast. Back in the grog sodden recesses of my mind, I remember my father making beer using what seemed to a yeast that sorts resembled a chunk of puff pastry.

                      Having never used bakers yeast I'll give it a go on my next batch of Harry's GGGP's Rum.

                      I've just finished an eight generation run of Uncle Jesse's sour mash using EC1118 with great results and next time I'll use bakers yeast to compare. Trouble is I was hoping to leave it on wood for two years and by then I'll probably be dead.

                      Makes for a fine wake I guess. :)

                      blanikdog

                      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                      Powered by Outblaze
                    • Ian Kent
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                        How about fresh bakers yeast from the bakery.
                        The local baker gives me about 200gm for AUD$2.00 enough for 2 molasses batches.

                        Ian...