Re: YEast....

    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Morgan <scotty@...> wrote:
      <snip>

      > Just wondering why you would use bakers yeast when there are
      commercial
      > cultures of distillers yeast available - Wyeast do a distillers
      yeast
      > and top quality nutrient.
      >
      > Scotty

      Two reasons, mainly...
      1) Cost and
      2) Availability

      Cost:
      Bakers yeast is a LOT cheaper than commercial yeast sachets or
      phials. In most cases it will ferment to 13 or 14% which is quite
      adequate for most mashes. Even with distillers yeasts if you push
      them too much you get undesirable by-products because of yeast stress.

      Availability:
      Many places around the world don't have brewshops on the corner (or at
      the showgrounds ;) ).
      Yes they can buy online, but not everyone is capable of doing that,
      nor do they want to. In some places it can draw the attention of
      officialdom, this hobby being illegal in +90% of the planet.

      In this crazy modern world where everything sent by mail that's a
      powder is opened & inspected, people are a tad reluctant to stick
      their hand up!
      I've had Sydney customs open sachets that I had sent from England.
      Luckily they were still usable (dried yeasts spoil rapidly after air
      contact, as you know).
      OTOH, bakers yeast is readily available almost everywhere, without
      having to give an address or an ID card.

      ps.
      Welcome aboard, Scott. Don't forget to read that groups policy re
      advertising & siglines.

    • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2007
        hi
        you are right and i do use other yeasts than baking yeast. my last
        batch was a made with a good wine yeast and was the best so far. i
        have read recipes from time that that say we added this and that then
        pitched in some baking yeast. while they gave the amount for the other
        ingredients they are so vague on how much yeast?
        i love this site.
        slough

        > you know my question about baking yeast is how to you calulate how
        much
        > yeast to use per gallon of wash?
        > so many question.
        > slough

        From brewing it is a standard of 1l per hectolitre for worts up to
        1.055 - 60, 2l per hectolitre for gravities over.

        Just wondering why you would use bakers yeast when there are
        commercial
        cultures of distillers yeast available - Wyeast do a distillers yeast
        and top quality nutrient.

        Scotty

        from AOL at AOL.com.
        =0
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2007
          This has to be the dumbest question ever asked, but here goes.

          When we talk of bakers yeast, what exactly is it? Of course it's used by bakers for making bread and stuff - I've even seen bread penises - but is it the yeast that we see in supermarkets near the quick bread making machines or is it the white, chunky stuff I remember as a lad, or doesn't it matter?

          Blanikdog

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

          Powered by Outblaze
        • scotty@onlinebrewing.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2007
            > This has to be the dumbest question ever asked, but here goes.
            >
            > When we talk of bakers yeast, what exactly is it? Of course it's used by
            > bakers for making bread and stuff - I've even seen bread penises - but is
            > it the yeast that we see in supermarkets near the quick bread making
            > machines or is it the white, chunky stuff I remember as a lad, or doesn't
            > it matter?

            Remember I asked 'why' not 'what'... ;-p

            Scotty
          • mavnkaf
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2007
              The stuff I have been using latly for molasses washs is the supermarket
              tpye. (defiance dry bakers yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae) Just like
              you said, in the flour section. I pay $3.40 AUD for a 96 grm box, good
              for one molasses wash. I've done 8x25L washs in the last month and so
              far all have fermented out between 10-12 %, all start bubbling with in
              20-40 minutes. And it finishes in about 4-6 day depending how much
              sugar you added to the wash. I hope the link works.

              Cheers
              Marc

              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomyces_cerevisiae#Top-
              fermenting_yeast>

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...> wrote:

              > This has to be the dumbest question ever asked, but here goes.
              >
              > When we talk of bakers yeast, what exactly is it? Of course it's
              used by bakers for making bread and stuff - I've even seen bread
              penises - but is it the yeast that we see in supermarkets near the
              quick bread making machines or is it the white, chunky stuff I remember
              as a lad, or doesn't it matter?

              > Blanikdog

            • burrows2418
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                Hi Slough,
                With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
                atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
                start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
                ferments.
                Like a problem we got in class at 11 years old at school. Trying to
                explain to us what a "red herring" was. And the problem was.
                Let say if a Placebo takes 10 minutes to reproduce, i.e. split
                in two. And you have a jar that takes one hour to fill exactly to
                the half way mark, with let say 50 million Placebo in there. How
                long will it take to completely fill the jar?
                Well at 11 years old we all said 50million x 1hour but obviously it
                was wrong. And if 50 million all reproduced in 10 minutes the jar
                would be full. So 10 minutes was the correct answer
                What we where suffering with was information overload and it was
                hard to pick out what was relevant for our needs to solve our
                problem. So by you not fully understanding the life cycle of a yeast
                and getting information overload it's hard to figure out what's right
                But if you give yeast

                1 the correct amount of sugar

                2 the right temperature

                3 the right atmospheric conditions

                4 enough time

                5 the right kick start of sufficient yeast at the start

                If you put a small bread making sachet of yeast into your 5
                gallon/25 litres of wash it multiply and will eventually ferment
                out. That's point 4 above if you put in 5 sachets you are off to a
                flying start point 5 above
                If you want the whiz kid speed, go for the turbo wash.
                Or if you want the satisfaction of knowing you made it from
                ingredients from the grocery store and old copper pipe bits from the
                back yard and a lot of knowledge you've learnt on the way as to how
                to do it. Researching about a subject i.e. yeast and it's life cycle
                in the forum library is a good start, type in "yeast life cycle" in
                the forum search panel and read, read, read.
                The more you find out about a subject the more you realize you
                didn't know much about it in the first place, as is so with
                distilling
                Everyone gets what they want from any hobby. Feeling good with
                what I've made and snubbing my nose at authority does it for me, and
                me and "her indoors" get pie eyed into the bargain.
                Geoff

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, SLOUGHVIEW@... wrote:

                > hi
                > you are right and i do use other yeasts than baking yeast. my last
                > batch was a made with a good wine yeast and was the best so far. i
                > have read recipes from time that that say we added this and that
                then
                > pitched in some baking yeast. while they gave the amount for the
                other
                > ingredients they are so vague on how much yeast?
                > i love this site.
                > slough

                __
                free
                > from AOL at AOL.com.
                > =0

              • Scott Morgan
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                  burrows2418 wrote:

                  > Hi Slough,
                  > With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
                  > atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
                  > start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
                  > ferments.
                  >

                  > e: 1/05/2007 2:57 PM

                  Another way to manipulate is to hit the medium with high levels of O2
                  and the yeast will continue to bud not ferment. This is the main
                  propagation method for some commercial producers, they can go on for
                  weeks producing cells..

                  Once released to ferment a lower gravity (SG 1.040 and below) is
                  preferred so as to provide a more viable yeast. As mentioned previously,
                  the higher ferment should be seeded with healthy yeast of a lower OG.

                  2l of thick viable slurry is the rule for high OG ferments on my side of
                  the world.. viable cells equals healthy yeast, reliable ferments,
                  attenuation and floculation...

                  Scotty
                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                    2 litres of thick slurry to how much wash? Seems like a heck of a lot
                    for 5 gallons (US or UK).
                    Cheers
                    Rob.

                    --- Scott Morgan <scotty@...> wrote:

                    > burrows2418 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Slough,
                    > > With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
                    > > atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
                    > > start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
                    > > ferments.
                    > >

                    > > e: 1/05/2007 2:57 PM
                    > >

                    > Another way to manipulate is to hit the medium with high levels of O2
                    >
                    > and the yeast will continue to bud not ferment. This is the main
                    > propagation method for some commercial producers, they can go on for
                    > weeks producing cells..
                    >
                    > Once released to ferment a lower gravity (SG 1.040 and below) is
                    > preferred so as to provide a more viable yeast. As mentioned
                    > previously,
                    > the higher ferment should be seeded with healthy yeast of a lower OG.
                    >
                    > 2l of thick viable slurry is the rule for high OG ferments on my side
                    > of
                    > the world.. viable cells equals healthy yeast, reliable ferments,
                    > attenuation and floculation...
                    >
                    > Scotty
                    >

                    > > begin:vcard
                    > fn:Scotty Morgan
                    > n:Morgan;Scotty
                    > org:NNL Beer Supplies
                    > adr:;;PO Box 544;Bright;VIC;3741;Australia
                    > email;internet:scotty@...
                    > title:Brewer
                    > tel;work:skype:southcoastrealale
                    > tel;cell:0419545114
                    > note:skype:southcoastrealale
                    > url:http://www.nnlbeersupplies.com.au
                    > version:2.1
                    > end:vcard

                    Cheers,
                    Rob.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Derek Hamlet
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                      Another voice in the wilderness says that I use Lalvin EC 1118 or
                      EC1116. They have higher tolerance for alcohol and can ferment out
                      higher. Mind you if you are really going for "taste" in your product
                      then higher alcohol wash is not the way to go according to Harry and
                      numerous books on the subject.
                      For neutral alcohol though that's what I do.
                      Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
                      big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
                      making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
                      add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.
                      At 09:43 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:

                      >The stuff I have been using latly for molasses washs is the supermarket
                      >tpye. (defiance dry bakers yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae) Just like
                      >you said, in the flour section. I pay $3.40 AUD for a 96 grm box, good
                      >for one molasses wash. I've done 8x25L washs in the last month and so
                      >far all have fermented out between 10-12 %, all start bubbling with in
                      >20-40 minutes. And it finishes in about 4-6 day depending how much
                      >sugar you added to the wash. I hope the link works.
                      >
                      >Cheers
                      >Marc
                      >
                      ><

                      Derek Hamlet
                      Victoria, B. C. >:-}
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
                        wrote:
                        <snip>
                        > Lalving yeasts cost $1 Cdn per 5g. package. That's not enough for a
                        > big wash, but I just make a starter about 5 days in advance and keep
                        > making larger until I have a veritable malestrom happening. This I
                        > add to my 23 or 46 litre washes. It works well for me with molasses.

                        Taking that approach a step further towards self-sufficiency, you can
                        always try your hand at yeast ranching.

                        It's not really worth it just to save a couple of bucks. Yeast is
                        cheap. But it is an interesting side-issue to the hobby. Further, if
                        you manage to breed or otherwise acquire a particularly choice yeast
                        that fulfills all your desires flavour-wise and performance-wise, then
                        ranching, refrigerating the samples and even freezing (with glycerine)
                        makes sense. That way you can always reproduce your results. It's
                        really an achievement to grow up a pitchable colony from a single
                        yeast cell. A great feeling of satisfaction.

                        This hobby is a never ending source of varied interest.

                      • Scott Morgan
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                          Sorry - per hecto (100) litres. Gives 10 to the 6th cells per milliliter.

                          Scotty

                        • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                            hi geoff
                            i love this hobby too. i know that each batch i run the queen with all
                            her money can't enjoy one drop of my run. her people may come close to
                            what i have but it will never be the same. LOL
                            slough

                            With yeast as long as you feed it with sugar an under the right
                            atmospheric conditions it'll produce alcohol. Depending on the kick
                            start you give the wash it will determine how fast your wash
                            ferments.
                            Like a problem we got in class at 11 years old at school. Trying to
                            explain to us what a "red herring" was. And the problem was.
                            Let say if a Placebo takes 10 minutes to reproduce, i.e. split
                            in two. And you have a jar that takes one hour to fill exactly to
                            the half way mark, with let say 50 million Placebo in there. How
                            long will it take to completely fill the jar?
                            Well at 11 years old we all said 50million x 1hour but obviously it
                            was wrong. And if 50 million all reproduced in 10 minutes the jar
                            would be full. So 10 minutes was the correct answer
                            What we where suffering with was information overload and it was
                            hard to pick out what was relevant for our needs to solve our
                            problem. So by you not fully understanding the life cycle of a yeast
                            and getting information overload it's hard to figure out what's right
                            But if you give yeast

                            1 the correct amount of sugar

                            2 the right temperature

                            3 the right atmospheric conditions

                            4 enough time

                            5 the right kick start of sufficient yeast at the start

                            If you put a small bread making sachet of yeast into your 5
                            gallon/25 litres of wash it multiply and will eventually ferment
                            out. That's point 4 above if you put in 5 sachets you are off to a
                            flying start point 5 above
                            If you want the whiz kid speed, go for the turbo wash.
                            Or if you want the satisfaction of knowing you made it from
                            ingredients from the grocery store and old copper pipe bits from the
                            back yard and a lot of knowledge you've learnt on the way as to how
                            to do it. Researching about a subject i.e. yeast and it's life cycle
                            in the forum library is a good start, type in "yeast life cycle" in
                            the forum search panel and read, read, read.
                            The more you find out about a subject the more you realize you
                            didn't know much about it in the first place, as is so with
                            distilling
                            Everyone gets what they want from any hobby. Feeling good with
                            what I've made and snubbing my nose at authority does it for me, and
                            me and "her indoors" get pie eyed into the bargain.
                            Geoff

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, SLOUGHVIEW@... wrote:

                            > hi
                            > you are right and i do use other yeasts than baking yeast. my last
                            > batch was a made with a good wine yeast and was the best so far. i
                            > have read recipes from time that that say we added this and that
                            then
                            > pitched in some baking yeast. while they gave the amount for the
                            other
                            > ingredients they are so vague on how much yeast?
                            > i love this site.
                            > slough

                            __
                            free
                            > from AOL at AOL.com.
                            > =0

                            from AOL at AOL.com.
                            =0
                          • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                              hi
                              if you go to the gutenberg website you can download this book free.

                              http://www.gutenberg.org

                              Title: The Practical Distiller
                              An Introduction To Making Whiskey, Gin, Brandy, Spirits,
                              &c. &c. of Better Quality, and in Larger Quantities, than
                              Produced by the Present Mode of Distilling, from the
                              Produce
                              of the United States

                              Author: Samuel McHarry

                              Release Date: April 29, 2007 [EBook #21252]

                              Language: English

                              Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1

                              looks interesting.

                              slough
                              from AOL at AOL.com.
                            • sonum norbu
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                                Thanks Derek,

                                That's the answer I was looking for. I usually use EC1118 looking for the higher etho output but was wondering about bakers yeast. Back in the grog sodden recesses of my mind, I remember my father making beer using what seemed to a yeast that sorts resembled a chunk of puff pastry.

                                Having never used bakers yeast I'll give it a go on my next batch of Harry's GGGP's Rum.

                                I've just finished an eight generation run of Uncle Jesse's sour mash using EC1118 with great results and next time I'll use bakers yeast to compare. Trouble is I was hoping to leave it on wood for two years and by then I'll probably be dead.

                                Makes for a fine wake I guess. :)

                                blanikdog

                              • Ian Kent
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                                  How about fresh bakers yeast from the bakery.
                                  The local baker gives me about 200gm for AUD$2.00 enough for 2 molasses batches.

                                  Ian...