reflux

  • iangeddie
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
      let me ask a quick question does a higher water flow rate make it
      reflux more less or none?
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2007
        IF you are using a cooling management still, then a higher cooling
        rate will cause more reflux.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "iangeddie" <iangeddie@...> wrote:

        > let me ask a quick question does a higher water flow rate make it
        > reflux more less or none?

      • bigdaddyg851
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
          i might be asking for alot, but anybody out there have detailed instructions or a web site for a valved reflux design stiil. i want to step up from a swans neck still that took me about 2hrs to build .it works,it taste fine but i am sure my pecent of Alcohol is low though it taste stong i just orderd a Alcoholmeter.
        • ric
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
            By all means build a valved reflux still.
            However if you want simplicity of construction and operation a combination of a Bokakob LM still with a VM addition makes a lot of sense.
            First being you take your foreshots and tails via the LM path; reserving VM for the product part of the run. That way your collection path is never contaminated.
            Plus VM must be the ultimate in simplicity of operation.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

            > i might be asking for alot, but anybody out there have detailed instructions or a web site for a valved reflux design stiil. i want to step up from a swans neck still that took me about 2hrs to build .it works,it taste fine but i am sure my pecent of Alcohol is low though it taste stong i just orderd a Alcoholmeter.

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 4, 2009
              Daddy,

              You need to make a decision whether you want taste or strength, natural flavors or high-ABV, Scotch whisky or (literally) rocket fuel. These two endeavors are not completely mutually exclusive, but they are usually at odds with each other.

              A potstill is the logical choice for naturally liquor flavors, while a reflux still is the logical choice for flavorless ethanol-water azeotrope, which you can dilute and to which you can add artificial flavors.

              It's a choice.