RE: [new_distillers] Boiler size

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2000
      Chris,

      I've just posted some photos of Ray's still at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm
      He's made this from a beer keg. It looks very tidy. He's been a little
      inovative re how to get a suitable sized hole in the top, and then reseal
      it, using a simple leverage system too.

      To calculate the amount of alcohol, multiply the volume by the purity of
      the mash, then divide by the purity that your still will produce , eg if
      the mash is at 10%, and the still produces 90% purity, and you start with 5
      gallons, then you'll end up with 5 * 10 /90 = 0.55 gallons.
      (realistically you'll only get about 95% of that - so more like 0.52
      gallons)

      Tony
    • xpensv65
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
        I am using a 15 gallon beer keg and a 3 " column. Is there a limit to the size of the boiler I can use? Thanks for the help!
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2011
          Yes,

          The amount of patience you have and amount you need to distill for personal use...;)  Dont think you need a 100 gallon boiler.

          JB aka Waldo.