Re: Distilling the African way...

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <jafta@...> wrote:

      > Hello Group
      >

      > It's been a while that I've lurked and absorbed the wisdom of the
      ages ;-) ,
      > but in my quest for self-reliance - solar, wind, and of course
      personal - I
      > came across this site. Quite interesting, but the best part I
      found on the
      > 3rd page, where water was removed from the fuel ethanol by using
      plaster of
      > paris. Does our wise ones think it could be done to our human
      grade product
      > as well?

      It could be. But there's plenty of things you can use, such as
      zeolite, or even corn grits if you want to stick with food-grade
      drying agents. But I really don't see the point for making 100%
      ethanol for this reason...
      When ethanol goes over the azeotrope point (95.6%) it will draw
      water moisture from the air to go back to azeotrope. That's the
      nature of the beast. So you have to do lots of things to keep it at
      100%, like air-tight storage etc. Hardly worth it IMHO.

      I'd like to comment on that article, if I may.

      I admire people like the good Doctor who advocate all these labour-
      intensive methods of reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. They
      make it sound so simple...just use fruit etc. etc...But what about
      the fuel/energy needed by the human body to enable it to collect and
      process the fruit in the first place? Was that factored in? How
      about the energy input needed to heat that reflux boiler of his (he
      conveniently didn't mention that). Was that factored in?
      And if you remove the rotting fruit from the environment, what does
      the tree use as a food source so it can produce more fruit to
      ferment? Fertilizer? Wait a minute, it takes energy input to
      produce that. It's a vicious circle, isn't it?

      It's a fact of life that it takes more units of energy to produce
      the fuel than you can extract from the resulting product. Don't
      believe me? Try this...

      Let's assume you have managed to produce an amount of ethanol fuel
      source by whatever means (most likely by burning fossil fuels).
      Now use that product fuel to heat the reflux still that produces the
      next lot. It will work, but you'll finish up with less fuel product
      each time than what you burned to produce it. You can repeat this
      continually until eventually you run out of fuel to heat the
      boiler. Now you're back where you started, no fuel. That's what
      it's all about.

      Of course you (or the good Doctor) can always use some other energy
      source to fire the boiler, such as (wait for it...) fossil fuels. :)

      There's a simple solution to all this. Don't burn fuel at all. Let
      those horses eat your grass, & ride them when you need to go
      somewhere. That's ultimately where humanity's heading anyway.
      Maybe the Amish have a point?

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
        Mike Nixon suggests filtering it through a steel drum with a
        perforated bottom and filled with rock salt - the salt absorbs the
        water (but not the alcohol!)
        wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <jafta@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group
        >

        > It's been a while that I've lurked and absorbed the wisdom of the
        ages ;-) ,
        > but in my quest for self-reliance - solar, wind, and of course
        personal - I
        > came across this site. Quite interesting, but the best part I
        found on the
        > 3rd page, where water was removed from the fuel ethanol by using
        plaster of
        > paris. Does our wise ones think it could be done to our human
        grade product
        > as well?
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Chris
        >
        > Africa
        >

        > http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2006/april/lawnmower.htm

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2007
          For the solar still, melamine faced particle board is recommended.
          Is the malmine surface OK with alcohol?
          wal