[new_distillers] Distilling the African way...

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007

      Hello Group

      It’s been a while that I’ve lurked and absorbed the wisdom of the ages ;-) , but in my quest for self-reliance – solar, wind, and of course personal – I came across this site.  Quite interesting, but the best part I found on the 3rd page, where water was removed from the fuel ethanol by using plaster of paris.  Does our wise ones think it could be done to our human grade product as well?

      Regards,

      Chris

      Africa

      http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2006/april/lawnmower.htm

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <jafta@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group
        >

        > It's been a while that I've lurked and absorbed the wisdom of the
        ages ;-) ,
        > but in my quest for self-reliance - solar, wind, and of course
        personal - I
        > came across this site. Quite interesting, but the best part I
        found on the
        > 3rd page, where water was removed from the fuel ethanol by using
        plaster of
        > paris. Does our wise ones think it could be done to our human
        grade product
        > as well?

        It could be. But there's plenty of things you can use, such as
        zeolite, or even corn grits if you want to stick with food-grade
        drying agents. But I really don't see the point for making 100%
        ethanol for this reason...
        When ethanol goes over the azeotrope point (95.6%) it will draw
        water moisture from the air to go back to azeotrope. That's the
        nature of the beast. So you have to do lots of things to keep it at
        100%, like air-tight storage etc. Hardly worth it IMHO.

        I'd like to comment on that article, if I may.

        I admire people like the good Doctor who advocate all these labour-
        intensive methods of reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. They
        make it sound so simple...just use fruit etc. etc...But what about
        the fuel/energy needed by the human body to enable it to collect and
        process the fruit in the first place? Was that factored in? How
        about the energy input needed to heat that reflux boiler of his (he
        conveniently didn't mention that). Was that factored in?
        And if you remove the rotting fruit from the environment, what does
        the tree use as a food source so it can produce more fruit to
        ferment? Fertilizer? Wait a minute, it takes energy input to
        produce that. It's a vicious circle, isn't it?

        It's a fact of life that it takes more units of energy to produce
        the fuel than you can extract from the resulting product. Don't
        believe me? Try this...

        Let's assume you have managed to produce an amount of ethanol fuel
        source by whatever means (most likely by burning fossil fuels).
        Now use that product fuel to heat the reflux still that produces the
        next lot. It will work, but you'll finish up with less fuel product
        each time than what you burned to produce it. You can repeat this
        continually until eventually you run out of fuel to heat the
        boiler. Now you're back where you started, no fuel. That's what
        it's all about.

        Of course you (or the good Doctor) can always use some other energy
        source to fire the boiler, such as (wait for it...) fossil fuels. :)

        There's a simple solution to all this. Don't burn fuel at all. Let
        those horses eat your grass, & ride them when you need to go
        somewhere. That's ultimately where humanity's heading anyway.
        Maybe the Amish have a point?

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
          Mike Nixon suggests filtering it through a steel drum with a
          perforated bottom and filled with rock salt - the salt absorbs the
          water (but not the alcohol!)
          wal

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2007
            For the solar still, melamine faced particle board is recommended.
            Is the malmine surface OK with alcohol?
            wal