Re: neon blue spirits

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
      wrote:

      > As far as the blue spirits, I couldn't tell you. It is probably a
      > reaction with the copper. However, you need to add the baking soda
      > after a stripping run.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "iangeddie" <iangeddie@>
      wrote:

      > > Somebody help me understand this i added bakeing soda to my mash
      > > running it through the reflux still the first time thinking it
      would
      > > bind with some of the fusels and not evaporate but the spirit is
      neon
      > > blue and smells strong

      <quote>
      It's OK to add baking soda or other alkali to a STRIPPED wash, but
      NEVER put it in the primary ferment and then distill. If you do, and
      your still contains ANY copper, you will severely corrode the
      copper, and get blue, ammonia-smelling distillate. Not fun!
      </quote>
      [ Source: http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm ]

      More info on the correct way to use bicarb at the above link.

      As for fixing the problem: Clean out the still, column & packing, &
      condenser with a steaming run of water with household white vinegar
      added. 4:1 ratio is fine i.e. 4 litres water & 1 litre vinegar
      (amounts aren't critical). Then rinse everything with clean water.
      Backflush is fine or dismantle if you can.

      Re-assemble the still and redistil the blue distillate. Charge the
      still with 2:1 ratio, i.e. 2 volumes water, 1 volume blue
      distillate. Make sure you do heads & tails cuts. Try for neutral
      spirit ( >95% ).

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "iangeddie" <iangeddie@...> wrote:

        > Somebody help me understand this i added bakeing soda to my mash
        > running it through the reflux still the first time thinking it would
        > bind with some of the fusels and not evaporate but the spirit is neon
        > blue and smells strong

        Nope...you got one step ahead of yourself.
        The bicarb binds with the ammonia in your wash to create a harsh base
        that gives you the nifty blue-ness.

        To use bicarb to bind with fusels and help neutralize your spirit, you
        add it to your second run...*AFTER* having run a stripping run of your
        wash once. Run one, stripping, is going all out pot-still style (no
        packing or reflux) to get a coarse separation of ethanol and flavors.
        Then, add bicarb to the low wines (the product of your stripping run)
        and run a few days later...this time, if you're using a reflux still,
        carefully modulating your reflux.

        You can fix your neon blue spirit by diluting with purified water and
        add some lemon juice or citric acid until your pH is 6 or below and
        run again.

        Then, chalk this one up as a first-hand learning experience.

        1. Stripping run
        2. Add bicarb
        3. Polishing run
        ...in that order.