Re: distillers vs. owners (was plywood vs. alcohol vapour)

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 21, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mike karnowski <djpotpie@...>
      wrote:

      > >I cannot believe these idiots are really considering ageing their
      hard won alcohol in plywood.

      > christ...pay attention will you! The question was about having a
      plywood lid NEARBY the booze i.e. several feet away at least! And it
      was a hypothetical question, I was just wondering if alcohol vapour
      would potentially extract any of the glues in the wood. From the few
      intelligent replies I've gotten the answer is no, but I'm still going
      for stainless.

      > This forum is full of haters. consider me unsubscribed -m

      Pity. Actually most of the people on the forum are very
      reasonable, most of the time!

      A pity, too, because I had an idea, a compromise, using both
      suggestions, wood and stainless, that would have cost comparatively
      little. Say you made a (say) wooden lid, and lined it (inside only)
      with quite thin stainless?
      The wood gives the lid its shape and strength, and the stainless
      gives ...

      let's see, what does it give? It is unaffected by, and does not
      affect, the contents of the vessel; and it is easy to effectively
      clean and sanitize. I guess that is pretty well it.

      I have seen the same technique used in 44 gallon drums (55 to you
      Americans, your gallons are small); I bought a stainless drum from a
      winery, I think it had been used for brandy; and I also bought from
      them a stainless steel lined drum.

      So, if you're still listening, Mike, maybe this idea will be
      useful, and I hope you change your mind and stay.

      The baker