Boiler size

  • cummingsc@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2000
      Hi all. I'm having a hard time finding a suitable boiler. I'm trying
      to keep the still aesthetic as well as functional. So far,all of the
      potential boilers I've found are significantly smaller than the
      10-gallon milk can suggested in the Stillmaker plan. Is there a
      minimum size whereafter the law of diminishing returns kicks in? I
      found a beautiful old copper fire extinguisher (2.5 gallons) that
      will look great.

      Exactly how much alcohol would result from from 2.5 gallons of mash?
      I calculate about 1/2 gallon. I'm afraid it might be horribly
      inefficient to go that route.

      Does anyone have experience with a double-boiler system? (does it
      even exist?) I'm wondering what would happen if I would have two of
      these fire extinguishers both contributing to the reflux tower in
      some
      way.

      Any other thoughts on creative boilers that are still functional?

      thanks everyone,
      chris
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2000
        Chris,

        I've just posted some photos of Ray's still at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm
        He's made this from a beer keg. It looks very tidy. He's been a little
        inovative re how to get a suitable sized hole in the top, and then reseal
        it, using a simple leverage system too.

        To calculate the amount of alcohol, multiply the volume by the purity of
        the mash, then divide by the purity that your still will produce , eg if
        the mash is at 10%, and the still produces 90% purity, and you start with 5
        gallons, then you'll end up with 5 * 10 /90 = 0.55 gallons.
        (realistically you'll only get about 95% of that - so more like 0.52
        gallons)

        Tony
      • xpensv65
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
          I am using a 15 gallon beer keg and a 3 " column. Is there a limit to the size of the boiler I can use? Thanks for the help!
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2011
            Yes,

            The amount of patience you have and amount you need to distill for personal use...;)  Dont think you need a 100 gallon boiler.

            JB aka Waldo.