Globe and Mail article on distilling?

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007
      Howdy all
      I was contacted by a fellow who claimed to be a Globe and Mail
      Reporter looking to do a article on Artisinal distilling.
      Patrick White
      Says he wanted to talk to Canadians Specifically.
      Wants to talk on the phone.
      I couldn't confirm his credentials on-line. I have not called the
      globe and mail either.....so
      Just wondering if anyone else has been e-mailed?
      Cheers
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

        > Howdy all
        > I was contacted by a fellow who claimed to be a Globe and Mail
        > Reporter looking to do a article on Artisinal distilling.
        > Patrick White
        > Says he wanted to talk to Canadians Specifically.
        > Wants to talk on the phone.
        > I couldn't confirm his credentials on-line. I have not called the
        > globe and mail either.....so
        > Just wondering if anyone else has been e-mailed?
        > Cheers

        He contacted me several days ago with this...

        <ext>
        Hey,

        I'm doing an article on the new age of home distillers for the Globe
        and Mail, based out of Toronto. I'm not sure where you're based, but
        I'm trying to find a few home distillers from anywhere who'd be up
        chatting a little about their craft. Is there any way I could get in
        touch and ask a few questions about your distilling? I basically want
        to highlight how the modern home distilleries buck persisting ideas of
        over-proof moonshine. Your name and identity will remain discreet if
        you so choose.

        Thanks for any help in advance,

        Patrick White
        Life Reporter
        Globe and Mail
        NY Office: 347-529-6827

          I declined the interview.  I advised him as follows...

        <ext>
        I'm flattered, and in a perfect world I could give you reams of copy.  However I must respectfully decline your interview offer.  Home distilling here (as in most countries) is very much against the law.  Until that farcical situation changes, most hobbyists will prefer to remain incognito.  May I draw your attention to the enlightened country of New Zealand and its lucky hobbyists, who have enjoyed legal home distilling since October 1996.  Perhaps you could drum up a few people there who would be willing to contribute.  Most of the home distilling forums on the internet have members from N.Z.  I'd advise you repeat your request to said forums.
        </ext>

        Now it appears he's changed his tune & wants Canadians?  Maybe because the said newspaper (Globe & Mail) is based in Toronto.  Maybe not.  All I can advise is...use your own judgement & stay safe.  Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find out a bit more on the bona-fides.

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007
          Yup, me too.
          His challenge with me not be information, I have a ton of that and a
          modicum of experience.
          The problem would be that it would take an army of spies to know
          exactly when I distill and between times, alas there is not still.
          At 01:50 PM 4/11/2007, you wrote:

          >Howdy all
          >I was contacted by a fellow who claimed to be a Globe and Mail
          >Reporter looking to do a article on Artisinal distilling.
          >Patrick White
          >Says he wanted to talk to Canadians Specifically.
          >Wants to talk on the phone.
          >I couldn't confirm his credentials on-line. I have not called the
          >globe and mail either.....so
          >Just wondering if anyone else has been e-mailed?
          >Cheers

          >Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          >4/10/2007 10:44 PM

          Derek Hamlet
        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007
            Harry,
            You would be the man to conduct the interview.

            While we are on the subject, Maybe you could clarify this for me:

            "In Canada distilling is perfectly legal as you are distilling for
            personal use"

            TRUE or FALSE?

          • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007
              I dunno how he would counter the stigma we have with sharing our hobby
              with anyone. We'd like to but unfortunately it's risky. Maybe our Kiwi
              brothers (where it's legal) could email him after a canuk has verified
              he does indeed work for the globe and mail.
              Not my neck on the line but couldn't this possibly be a good thing if
              he's legit?
              Leigh

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 11, 2007
                I have done a quick bit of research. Results so far...

                The supplied details were...

                Patrick White
                Life Reporter
                Globe and Mail
                NY Office: 347-529-6827

                The phone number provided is registered to...

                Gould, Erica
                226 Carlton Ave
                Brooklyn, NY 11205-4027
                (347) 529-6827

                As this looked a bit suss, I have contacted the Globe & Mail
                administrators in Canada. I'm currently awaiting a response. Will
                advise any developments. Meanwhile, BE CAREFUL!

                To mstehelin: re Canada laws...

                Canada #
                The laws respecting alcohol are determined by the province or
                territory not by the federal government. In the North West
                Territories, alcohol use is restricted by the municipality not by
                the NWT government. Communities in the NWT have the right to ban
                alcohol completely if the local government desires. Legal drinking
                age of 19 in Ontario are a draw for US citizens 19 & 20 years old.
                (Thanks S, Cory, DA90). Alberta 18, Manitoba 18, Quebec 18, 19 in
                other provinces. (Unconfirmed)

                As for making your own, I have no idea. Perhaps Derek or someone
                else in Canada can advise (with a ref. link)?

                ----------------------------------

                wrote:

> [...]
                country
                > > of New Zealand and its lucky hobbyists, who have enjoyed legal
                home
                > > distilling since October 1996. Perhaps you could drum up a few
                people
                > > there who would be willing to contribute. Most of the home
                distilling
                > > forums on the internet have members from N.Z. I'd advise you
                repeat
                > > your request to said forums.
                > > </ext>
                > > Now it appears he's changed his tune & wants Canadians?
                Maybe
                > > because the said newspaper (Globe & Mail) is based in Toronto.
                Maybe
                > > not. All I can advise is...use your own judgement & stay safe.
                > > Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find out a bit more on the bona-

              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 13, 2007
                  At 06:08 PM 4/11/2007, you wrote:
                  >As for making your own, I have no idea. Perhaps Derek or someone
                  >else in Canada can advise (with a ref. link)?

                  Absolutely illegal to distill everywhere in Canada. Granted, the
                  police do have other fish to fry and are not actively running around
                  looking for hobby distillers, but draw enough attention to yourself
                  or sell it and the forces of justice and purity would be pleased
                  introduce you to the court system.
                  Why are the laws as they are??
                  Notwithstanding the element of alcohol is evil thinking of the
                  religious right and the historical fear of incompetent distillers
                  poisoning themselves and others, the basic reason is the power of the
                  big distilling lobby. They have power.
                  It's amazing that making your wine and beer is legal here. As a kid,
                  I remember my Dad's homebrewing was all very hush hush. Everyone was
                  doing it, but it was illegal. Hopefully the gradual ignoring of the
                  laws will lead to legalization eventually. It certainly will not cut
                  into liquor sales because only a few will be bothered to even want to
                  try distilling. God help their house insurance though if they burn
                  their abode down while pursuing the elusive jimmy crack corn.

                  Derek Hamlet
                • Jan Wouter Wouter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
                    I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but in the
                    Netherlands there is a lot of tax on alcoholic beverages and also in a
                    lot of other European countries. That is the mean reason why home
                    distilling is illegal.
                    Home distilling is actually a tax offence.

                    Jan Wouter
                  • waljaco
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
                      There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
                      excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
                      is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
                      New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!
                      wal
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter Wouter"
                      <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                      > I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but in the
                      > Netherlands there is a lot of tax on alcoholic beverages and also in a
                      > lot of other European countries. That is the mean reason why home
                      > distilling is illegal.
                      > Home distilling is actually a tax offence.
                      >
                      > Jan Wouter

                    • tyler_97355
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
                        Alcohol is one of the highest taxed commodities in the United states.
                        This is one of the reasons why the prohibition didn't last long here.
                        The US government lost about $500 million per year in lost revenue.
                        This is equivalent to about $5,642,936,240.01 in 2006. However, I'm
                        sure that more people drink now than they do then. However, if the US
                        legalized home distillation, I only see a very small dent in the $8.2
                        billion they are making now. Home brewing and wimemaking are already
                        legal, and yet most people who drink, do not make their own. I make my
                        own liquor, but that doesn't mean I don't run down to the bottle shop
                        every now and then to pick up a bottle of Bacardi.

                        Will home distillation every become legal in the United States? I
                        don't see the US government giving up a dime of the over $8 billion
                        they make.

                        Just my two cents worth.

                        -Tyler

                        > There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
                        > excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
                        > is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
                        > New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!
                        > wal
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter Wouter"
                        > <janwouter.mailgroups@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but in the
                        > > Netherlands there is a lot of tax on alcoholic beverages and also in a
                        > > lot of other European countries. That is the mean reason why home
                        > > distilling is illegal.
                        > > Home distilling is actually a tax offence.
                        > >
                        > > Jan Wouter

                      • Gary Boyco
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
                          "There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
                          excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
                          is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
                          New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!"

                          Well put Wal. This post points out another reason these laws are archaic and are slowly reforming around the world.

                          Gary in Canada

                        • greg tufts
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
                            This individual is concerned with distillation of
                            alcohol in Canada which at this time is illegal.
                            Try this link and you will find proof of this,
                            refered to as the Canada excise act.

                            http://tinyurl.com/2ojygm

                            This is a weighty document which states
                            that you need a license to have anything to do
                            with distillation.
                            cheers
                            greg

                          • Andrew Bugal
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 8, 2007
                              Australia hits you twice when you buy a bottle of booze - once with a "wine Tax" and then with GST (Goods and services tax) on the total.

                              Went into the bottle shop the other day to pick up a few bottles of wine and couldn't help but notice that a bottle of simple Teachers scotch was $31.

                              Nuff said?

                              Bwyze

                              Gary Boyco <fly_boy_bc@...> wrote:
                              "There is tax on jam, but home jam making is legal. In the 19th century
                              excise on alcohol provided 40% of the total tax income in Britain. It
                              is less than a tenth of that now. Less in the E.U. Legalizing it in
                              New Zealand and Ukraine has not bankrupted them!"

                              Well put Wal. This post points out another reason these laws are archaic and are slowly reforming around the world.

                              Gary in Canada

                              How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.