Re: reflux material question

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11 3:32 AM
      Aluminium works as long as it's not contacting any acids. Cooking pots
      made of aluminium are sold everywhere and you do not get any reports
      of poisonings. When in contact with acids aluminium forms salts which
      are not very healthy. However, there salts do not vaporize so unless
      they work their way out of your still in droplets they stay where ever
      they are formed or below that.

      Now to be practical aluminium is not good material for stills. It's
      very hard to solder and since mashes are typically low on pH corrosion
      is probable in prolonged use. You'll be better off using copper or
      stainless steel.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hoffer110" <hoffer110@...>
      wrote:

      > there have been a few articles I have been reading about distilling
      but
      > none have answered this question.
      > Is Alumnium ok to be used for the reflux collum. I have read that
      > Alum.can cause a chemical reaction in the boiler and cause poison is
      > this also true in the reflux.
      >
      > what else could be considered in making this.
      >
      > I have a 16 gallon S.S. bollier and thinking of ideas before putting
      > this together.

    • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11 6:14 PM
        Technically you can as long as it's only in the vapour path and not
        contacting the liquid product. Metal doesn't travel well in steam but
        why bother? Copper and stainless are infinitely better materials to use
        due to their properties and corrosion resistance. I doubt you will find
        anyone that has an aluminium column. Probably a few boilers but no
        columns.
        For my money steer well clear of any metals other than copper or
        stainless (platinum would be nice!).