reflux material question

  • hoffer110
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
      there have been a few articles I have been reading about distilling but
      none have answered this question.
      Is Alumnium ok to be used for the reflux collum. I have read that
      Alum.can cause a chemical reaction in the boiler and cause poison is
      this also true in the reflux.

      what else could be considered in making this.

      I have a 16 gallon S.S. bollier and thinking of ideas before putting
      this together.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
        Aluminium works as long as it's not contacting any acids. Cooking pots
        made of aluminium are sold everywhere and you do not get any reports
        of poisonings. When in contact with acids aluminium forms salts which
        are not very healthy. However, there salts do not vaporize so unless
        they work their way out of your still in droplets they stay where ever
        they are formed or below that.

        Now to be practical aluminium is not good material for stills. It's
        very hard to solder and since mashes are typically low on pH corrosion
        is probable in prolonged use. You'll be better off using copper or
        stainless steel.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hoffer110" <hoffer110@...>
        wrote:

        > there have been a few articles I have been reading about distilling
        but
        > none have answered this question.
        > Is Alumnium ok to be used for the reflux collum. I have read that
        > Alum.can cause a chemical reaction in the boiler and cause poison is
        > this also true in the reflux.
        >
        > what else could be considered in making this.
        >
        > I have a 16 gallon S.S. bollier and thinking of ideas before putting
        > this together.

      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
          Technically you can as long as it's only in the vapour path and not
          contacting the liquid product. Metal doesn't travel well in steam but
          why bother? Copper and stainless are infinitely better materials to use
          due to their properties and corrosion resistance. I doubt you will find
          anyone that has an aluminium column. Probably a few boilers but no
          columns.
          For my money steer well clear of any metals other than copper or
          stainless (platinum would be nice!).