Re: First Run

  • The Drunk Monkey
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4 10:48 AM
      I second the cycling thing. I too have a PSII High Capacity and what
      Morgan said is spot on.

      I normally use a propane burner, but, gave that up due to nosy
      neighbors. When I switched to a hot plate, I had the exact same
      problems you did, that is until I found out how to keep the hot plate
      on full time.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Rabe" <rabeb25@...> wrote:

      > Hey Morgan.. Thanks
      >
      > It was still hooked up and I just bypassed that, surprisingly the
      hot plate
      > actually says 1500watt on it (as I found out modding it). I did
      notice it
      > cycling on and off. From now on I will turn on the cooling water
      first, when
      > I went outside the alcohol had smelt up the garage.
      >
      > Thanks for the Help
      > Bryan
      >
      > On 4/3/07, morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Bryan,
      > > Sounds to me like the thermostat is still hooked up on your hot plate.
      > > Is it? If so, you must re-wire (!?!) it so the element stays on. An
      > > element that cycles on and off will not operate the still correctly.
      > > Tip one, Morgan
      > >
      > > Oh, and by the way, turn your cooling water on BEFORE the wash gets up
      > > to temp. Alchohol vapor is heavier than air, and very flammable
      (BOOM).

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      <new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > > After about an hour the temp was still at 160f and it was running
      > > > quite well. As I was standing there I watched the temp drop to
      142fish
      > > > then rise back up to 160f. It did this quite a few times when there
      > > > was about 120mill in the test jar.

    • Bryan Rabe
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4 4:49 PM
        So how did you guys mod yours? I modded mine last night, not sure if it is the correct way, but it works...
        http://rabeb25.mikesdecks.com/BEER/Water%20Distilling/ is the link where I have the pictures of the modding.

        Thanks for the help guys
        Bryan

        On 4/4/07, The Drunk Monkey < joshuacoman@...> wrote:

        I second the cycling thing. I too have a PSII High Capacity and what
        Morgan said is spot on.

        I normally use a propane burner, but, gave that up due to nosy
        neighbors. When I switched to a hot plate, I had the exact same
        problems you did, that is until I found out how to keep the hot plate
        on full time.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Rabe" <rabeb25@...> wrote:

        > Hey Morgan.. Thanks
        >
        > It was still hooked up and I just bypassed that, surprisingly the
        hot plate
        > actually says 1500watt on it (as I found out modding it). I did
        notice it
        > cycling on and off. From now on I will turn on the cooling water
        first, when
        > I went outside the alcohol had smelt up the garage.
        >
        > Thanks for the Help
        > Bryan
        >
        > On 4/3/07, morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Bryan,
        > > Sounds to me like the thermostat is still hooked up on your hot plate.
        > > Is it? If so, you must re-wire (!?!) it so the element stays on. An
        > > element that cycles on and off will not operate the still correctly.
        > > Tip one, Morgan
        > >
        > > Oh, and by the way, turn your cooling water on BEFORE the wash gets up
        > > to temp. Alchohol vapor is heavier than air, and very flammable
        (BOOM).

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        <new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>,

        > > > After about an hour the temp was still at 160f and it was running
        > > > quite well. As I was standing there I watched the temp drop to
        142fish
        > > > then rise back up to 160f. It did this quite a few times when there
        > > > was about 120mill in the test jar.

      • Anthony Athawes
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 5 12:03 PM
          If this hasn't already been said, cookers are conrolled by Simmerstats.
          These vary the time "on" and the time "off" - using full or no power. They
          do not adjust temperature as such, though the heaviness of the plate
          maintains a reasonable desired average of on/off times..

          Tony A
        • slipthruthecracks
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 15, 2008
            After a leak test and tweaking I ran my first 25 liter wash made with
            15# sugar and a turbo yeast.

            My rig is a 2" X 48" offset valved reflux design with a converted 15.5
            Gal keg as the boiler on a bayou classic propane burner (Yes, I did
            the run outside for safety's sake). The condenser is a double helix of
            1/4" O.D. that is 15" long.

            This was a stripping run with no packing in the column and the offtake
            valve fully open for the entire run. I ran for 4.5 hours till the temp
            at the top of the column hit 205 F. I did not discard anything but
            collected everything up to that temp in anticipation of a spirits run
            soon.

            My yield was 4.5 liters of 70%ABV (temperature corrected) very nice
            smelling product. I will combine this with another wash that will be
            stripped this weekend and then dilute to 30%ABV and do the spirits run.

            I was surprised at the ABV after the run. It seemed higher than I
            expected and I am guessing that it is a function of the length of the
            column. Am I right? I am also surprised at the quantity. I was
            expecting perhaps 3.5 to 4 liters instead of 4.5. My questions to the
            experts are: 1. Do the numbers seem right with regard to my quantity
            and ABV? 2. Was my procedure correct for a stripping run?

            OneEyed Jack
          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 15, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipthruthecracks"
              <slipthruthecracks@...> wrote:

              > After a leak test and tweaking I ran my first 25 liter wash made with
              > 15# sugar and a turbo yeast.
              >
              > My rig is a 2" X 48" offset valved reflux design with a converted 15.5
              > Gal keg as the boiler on a bayou classic propane burner (Yes, I did
              > the run outside for safety's sake). The condenser is a double helix of
              > 1/4" O.D. that is 15" long.
              >
              > This was a stripping run with no packing in the column and the offtake
              > valve fully open for the entire run. I ran for 4.5 hours till the temp
              > at the top of the column hit 205 F. I did not discard anything but
              > collected everything up to that temp in anticipation of a spirits run
              > soon.
              >
              > My yield was 4.5 liters of 70%ABV (temperature corrected) very nice
              > smelling product. I will combine this with another wash that will be
              > stripped this weekend and then dilute to 30%ABV and do the spirits run.
              >
              > I was surprised at the ABV after the run. It seemed higher than I
              > expected and I am guessing that it is a function of the length of the
              > column. Am I right? I am also surprised at the quantity. I was
              > expecting perhaps 3.5 to 4 liters instead of 4.5. My questions to the
              > experts are: 1. Do the numbers seem right with regard to my quantity
              > and ABV? 2. Was my procedure correct for a stripping run?
              >
              > OneEyed Jack

              Hey Jack,
              Your procedure was good for the most part. I would have taken the
              wash up to 210F at least. At 205 you left a fair amount of etho in
              the boiler. When you do you next run try stripping 1/3 of the volume
              out of it. This will also bring the ABV of the strip down quite a
              bit. That brings me to a question. Have you insulated the Column?
              If not you need to. Another reason for the higher ABV is that with
              Ambient Air or a breeze cooling that column you were getting a fair
              amount of reflux. When you do your Spirit/Reflux run you will need
              the column insulated to get proper equalization. Armaflex from the
              home depot work well.
              Other than my nitpicking sounds like your doing fine.

              Mason
            • slipthruthecracks
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 15, 2008

                > Hey Jack,
                > Your procedure was good for the most part. I would have taken the
                > wash up to 210F at least. At 205 you left a fair amount of etho in
                > the boiler. When you do you next run try stripping 1/3 of the volume
                > out of it. This will also bring the ABV of the strip down quite a
                > bit. That brings me to a question. Have you insulated the Column?
                > If not you need to. Another reason for the higher ABV is that with
                > Ambient Air or a breeze cooling that column you were getting a fair
                > amount of reflux. When you do your Spirit/Reflux run you will need
                > the column insulated to get proper equalization. Armaflex from the
                > home depot work well.
                > Other than my nitpicking sounds like your doing fine.
                >
                > Mason

                Thanks Mason. I noticed that I got some reduction in temp at the head
                of the column when the breeze picked up. It would drop as much as 5
                degrees. I will hunt down the insulation at the Depot and put that on
                before the next stripping run. And I will run it up to 210F.

                Thanks for the feedback.

                Jack