Re: multiple distillations

  • jcv1800
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4 8:25 AM
      I called out a Diageo rep on the 'triple distilled' label on Smirnoff
      while at the Lallemand alcohol school in Montreal. He admitted it
      was all BS - not like I needed him to admit it.

      Seriously, anything that says x times distilled is pure marketing.
      How many plates does it pass through? You can open up plates in the
      column and do quick stripping runs and only on higher rectification
      at the end.

      The other school of thought says that every time the evaporate
      condenses and revaporizes (like passing through bubble plates) could
      qualify as a single distillation. So if you run a high rectification
      run through a 20 plate column, Diageo could say 20 times distilled ;)

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > If its on the Bottle it has to be TRUE !!! Are all these Salesmen
      LIARS ? Come on Guys . Have you no Faith in these distillers? Are
      they just Snake Oil salesmen? Well ?-? Would anyone say something
      just to get you to buy there product.? How far do you think they
      stretch something ?? It would be nice to know.!

      ______________
      > It's here! Your new message!

    • Ian Kent
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4 8:23 PM
        I've been to the Diageo distillery in Sydney a few times and although
        I can't confirm the 'triple distilled' I can confirm they do charcoal
        filter their Smirnoff.

        Ian...

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5 11:35 AM
          They use too much carbon though - many tasters say they can pick
          Smirnoff out of any lineup simply because the carbon taste carries
          over into the product.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>