What kind of still to buy or build

  • pliddon
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
      Hi,

      I am a newcomer to home distilling. I am interested in buying or
      building a still to make vodka first and then move on to gin, rum, etc.

      I have looked at brewhaus and the Essential Extractor Pro Series II-
      Complete for $295 looks interesting. I have also read the amazing
      still instructions and it doesn't look to hard to build.

      I am interested in what other people would recommend for a first timer.
      I really would not want to spend more than $295 for my first still.

      Thanks.
      Peter.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
        Basic amazing still will not give you neutral spirits, i.e. it's not
        suited for making vodka. It can be used as a stripper and you can
        make acceptable rum with it.

        I don't have experience about those brewhaus stills but they seem to
        be simple cooling management design. Provided they have proper
        column packing and that you can run them at full reflux they should
        be capable of giving out neutral 95.6% spirits. The problem with CM
        is that changes in water pressure (like someone flushing the toilet)
        will alter cooling capability and possibly (likely) ruin your spirit
        run.

        Another option you might want to consider is PDA-1 from amphora
        society. It is quite effective liquid management still able to give
        you neutral alcohol at 95.6%. It can also be used to make flavored
        spirits (rum, whiskey etc.) as described in their website.

        The best approach is off course to build your own still. As an
        example the "spirall still" is quite easy to make. Adding a column
        to that will make it capable of giving neutral 95.6% spirits.
        Instructions for that are available at Harry's alcohol library.
        There are many other plans around as well, do study them and we'll
        help you to choose a good one.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pliddon" <pliddon@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am a newcomer to home distilling. I am interested in buying or
        > building a still to make vodka first and then move on to gin, rum,
        etc.

        > I have looked at brewhaus and the Essential Extractor Pro Series
        II-
        > Complete for $295 looks interesting. I have also read the amazing
        > still instructions and it doesn't look to hard to build.
        >
        > I am interested in what other people would recommend for a first
        timer.
        > I really would not want to spend more than $295 for my first still.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Peter.

      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
          You should be able to make a good liquid management (Nixon-Stone head)
          still for about $200. They are easy to operate, and can make both
          vodka, and flavored spirits. That would be my recommendation.

          -Tyler

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pliddon" <pliddon@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am a newcomer to home distilling. I am interested in buying or
          > building a still to make vodka first and then move on to gin, rum, etc.
          >
          > I have looked at brewhaus and the Essential Extractor Pro Series II-
          > Complete for $295 looks interesting. I have also read the amazing
          > still instructions and it doesn't look to hard to build.
          >
          > I am interested in what other people would recommend for a first timer.
          > I really would not want to spend more than $295 for my first still.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Peter.

        • sawyer7271
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pliddon" <pliddon@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am a newcomer to home distilling. I am interested in buying or
            > building a still to make vodka first and then move on to gin, rum,
            etc.

            Welcome to the hobby! I'm relatively new to this, too... I've figured
            out that Vodka (neutral spirits) are actually harder to make than
            flavored spirits...

            Personally, I'd start with a simple pot-still and go from there. I
            started from the other end and built a valved reflux still, but I
            mostly de-tune it and make whiskey... Rum is soon to follow...

            Spend about a week reading homedistiller.org... it's worth the time.
          • a&c noakes
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
              well id have to disagree there,id go for a reflux still which makes a neutrel spirit and from there you flavour your spirit to your likeing.i have a reflux still and im able to make some bourbon,scotch and a snaps flavour out of one brew its up to you what you want to make as flavour wise.
              hopes this helps.