Re: multiple distillations

  • Leslie Richardson
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
      Thanks Riku for the reply. It seems to be the trend now for some distilleries to advertise their product being distilled 4 or even 5 times. Mostly companies who distill vodka from what I've seen. Thanks again...Les

      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
        Not to mention heads and tails. You can not recirculate them forever
        with Vodka as is done with whiskey so you need to compress them.

        Cheers, Riku

        > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
        > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
        > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
        > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
        > equipment AND staff with a clue.
        >
        > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry
        >
        > ps
        > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
        > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
          > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
          > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
          > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
          > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
          > equipment AND staff with a clue.
          >
          > And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
          > filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
          > believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
          > supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
          > other?
          >
          > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry
          >
          > ps
          > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
          > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

          hey Harry maybe they in a 2nd biz diamond cleaning hahahaha
        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
            If its on the Bottle it has to be TRUE !!!   Are all these Salesmen LIARS ?  Come on Guys . Have you no Faith in these distillers? Are they just Snake Oil salesmen?   Well ?-? Would anyone say something just to get you to buy there product.?   How far do you think they stretch something ?? It would be nice to know.!

            > I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked
            directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations.
            The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once
            through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still,
            then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their
            vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said.
            Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka
            they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell". -m

            Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
            distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
            fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
            bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
            equipment AND staff with a clue.

            And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
            filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
            believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
            supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
            other?

            We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.

            ps
            Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
            I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

            with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
          • jcv1800
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
              I called out a Diageo rep on the 'triple distilled' label on Smirnoff
              while at the Lallemand alcohol school in Montreal. He admitted it
              was all BS - not like I needed him to admit it.

              Seriously, anything that says x times distilled is pure marketing.
              How many plates does it pass through? You can open up plates in the
              column and do quick stripping runs and only on higher rectification
              at the end.

              The other school of thought says that every time the evaporate
              condenses and revaporizes (like passing through bubble plates) could
              qualify as a single distillation. So if you run a high rectification
              run through a 20 plate column, Diageo could say 20 times distilled ;)

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe

              ______________
              > It's here! Your new message!

            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                I've been to the Diageo distillery in Sydney a few times and although
                I can't confirm the 'triple distilled' I can confirm they do charcoal
                filter their Smirnoff.

                Ian...

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                  They use too much carbon though - many tasters say they can pick
                  Smirnoff out of any lineup simply because the carbon taste carries
                  over into the product.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>