how much?

  • jay
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
      howdy all, quick question, ive been distillin for quite a while now,
      but just recently we moved from just outside of nowhere to closer to
      the city so i had to cut back on my still size quite a bit. i went
      from a 40 gallon still to a 5 gallon. my question is how much product
      should i expect out of a 5 gallon run? my last run was not quite 2
      quarts of 110 proof whisky out of 5 gallons, is this a low amount or
      is it just me???

      thanks in advance, Jay
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
        Hi Jay,
        Off hand, it sounds alittle low. But, it depends on abv of the wash,
        what the cuts were, ect. I generally get about 2 1/2 qts. or so of 80%
        (average of the whole run). HTH's
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jay" <hillbilly@...> wrote:

        > howdy all, quick question, ive been distillin for quite a while now,
        > but just recently we moved from just outside of nowhere to closer to
        > the city so i had to cut back on my still size quite a bit. i went
        > from a 40 gallon still to a 5 gallon. my question is how much product
        > should i expect out of a 5 gallon run? my last run was not quite 2
        > quarts of 110 proof whisky out of 5 gallons, is this a low amount or
        > is it just me???
        >
        > thanks in advance, Jay

      • greg
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jay" <hillbilly@...> wrote:

          > howdy all, quick question, ive been distillin for quite a while now,
          > but just recently we moved from just outside of nowhere to closer to
          > the city so i had to cut back on my still size quite a bit. i went
          > from a 40 gallon still to a 5 gallon. my question is how much product
          > should i expect out of a 5 gallon run? my last run was not quite 2
          > quarts of 110 proof whisky out of 5 gallons, is this a low amount or
          > is it just me???
          >
          > thanks in advance, Jay

          Your quantity of usable likker will depend on the alcohol in your
          batch not the size of your batch. I believe a good rule of thumb
          is one liter of 40% to each kilogram of sugar (from a turbo yeast
          package. I get about 6 or 7 quarts of 100 proof to each 5 gallon
          batch. It will also depend on your method of distilation.
          cheers
          greg
        • Jan Wouter Wouter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
            20 grams of sugar gives 1 cc of alcohol in the fermentation. So 1
            liter of 40% spirit
            is the equivalent of 800 grams of sugar.
            With the losses in the process it will probably indeed add up to about
            1 kilo to start with.
            With my simple stove-top pressure pan still I do get these yields.

            Jan Wouter

            2007/4/4, greg <gregtufts@...>:
            > Your quantity of usable likker will depend on the alcohol in your
            > batch not the size of your batch. I believe a good rule of thumb
            > is one liter of 40% to each kilogram of sugar (from a turbo yeast
            > package. I get about 6 or 7 quarts of 100 proof to each 5 gallon
            > batch. It will also depend on your method of distilation.
            > cheers
            > greg

          • gerryruiz1701
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014

              How much good stuff should I get from appox. 4 liters of mash? I considered myself lucky to get a full 750 ml. (minus heads and tails) from almost a gallon of mash. Am I doing alright?

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014
                You left out a great deal of information, but I average 33% on a striping run.  My heads, hearts, and tails average 70% abv.  If yours follows mine, then just over a liter on your stripping run, 500 ml to 750ml on your finish run if your are using a pot still.  A reflex will be in the neighborhood of 300 ml.

                Without knowing your starting abv., this is a guess at best using my past output as an example.

                Robert

                How much good stuff should I get from appox. 4 liters of mash? I considered myself lucky to get a full 750 ml. (minus heads and tails) from almost a gallon of mash. Am I doing alright?

              • Ric Cunningham
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014
                  at a 10% abv wash you will get 4000ml/10 = 400 ml

                  --
                  US Navy - 100% on watch
                • gerry ruiz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2014
                    Thanks Ric,

                    It looks like I'm doing alright then.

                    To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21, 2014
                      Thanks Robert,

                      Since I'm a novice I don't even know my start or end abv. but using your example, it looks like I'm averaging about 25%. I'm really just  going by taste and keeping only good stuff. I know I got to get a hydrometer and school myself but, for now I'm just having fun!

                      thanks again!

                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:30:47 -0700

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22, 2014
                        Hi!

                        I am new here - I am from Brasil. Here we can distill anything without any problems with the law.
                        Except drink and drive ... ;)

                        I have to say this equation of 4l/10%abv=400ml of 100% alcool. In a potstill you cannot have this 100% abv.

                        So, only a alcool hidrometer can tell you the correct. And it is good to also have a hidrometer of sugar/brix or Specific Gravity.

                        If you measure the initial brix when before casting the yeast and measure the final brix, before putting it to boil, the formula

                         (  ( 1.05  x  ( OG – FG )  )  / FG  )  / 0.79  x  100 = % ABV

                        Specific Gravity (OG or FG) = 1 +(0.004 x °Brix)

                        But it is a very good practice of a 4l mash, to discard 100ml of foreshot/heads, then keep 700-750 ml of hearts, and discard the tails.

                        But, no matter rhe hidrometer tells you, the tongue is the best evaluator.

                        So, when distilling, separate the incoming liquid in 50 or 100ml parts, then taste them and keep the good ones. But remember - do not use plastic cups - I have to hold myself too hard to not use this expendable plastic coffee 50ml cups!

                        Hugs from Brasil!

                        Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:30:47 -0700

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 24, 2014
                          Thanks for the good advice. And thanks for hosting some good games at the world cup Emoji

                          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                          Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:30:47 -0700