Re: multiple distillations

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hello All,
      I was visiting the "Skyy Vodka" site a while ago, they use 4 stills
      (pictured). My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I believe the final
      still is a 65 plate beauty!
      Tip one, Morgan

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Leslie Richardson
      <towndrunk1952@...> wrote:

      > Hi Group,
      > I was drinking some Svedka Vodka yesterday and noticed that the
      bottle said that they distill their product 5 times.I can see maybe
      running it through twice but why 5 times. Is this just an advertising
      gimmick to get people to but their product? Thanks...Les

      > ---------------------------------

    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007

        >Slainte!
        >regards Harry

        >ps
        >Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
        >I'll sell ya the old Coat hanger real cheap. :)

        Come on Harry, its 75 years old, nobody would want itJ

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

      • Leslie Richardson
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
          Thanks Riku for the reply. It seems to be the trend now for some distilleries to advertise their product being distilled 4 or even 5 times. Mostly companies who distill vodka from what I've seen. Thanks again...Les

          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
            Not to mention heads and tails. You can not recirculate them forever
            with Vodka as is done with whiskey so you need to compress them.

            Cheers, Riku

            > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
            > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
            > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
            > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
            > equipment AND staff with a clue.
            >
            > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry
            >
            > ps
            > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
            > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
              > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
              > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
              > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
              > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
              > equipment AND staff with a clue.
              >
              > And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
              > filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
              > believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
              > supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
              > other?
              >
              > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry
              >
              > ps
              > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
              > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

              hey Harry maybe they in a 2nd biz diamond cleaning hahahaha
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                If its on the Bottle it has to be TRUE !!!   Are all these Salesmen LIARS ?  Come on Guys . Have you no Faith in these distillers? Are they just Snake Oil salesmen?   Well ?-? Would anyone say something just to get you to buy there product.?   How far do you think they stretch something ?? It would be nice to know.!

                > I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked
                directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations.
                The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once
                through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still,
                then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their
                vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said.
                Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka
                they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell". -m

                Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
                distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
                fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
                bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
                equipment AND staff with a clue.

                And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
                filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
                believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
                supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
                other?

                We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.

                ps
                Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

                with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
              • jcv1800
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                  I called out a Diageo rep on the 'triple distilled' label on Smirnoff
                  while at the Lallemand alcohol school in Montreal. He admitted it
                  was all BS - not like I needed him to admit it.

                  Seriously, anything that says x times distilled is pure marketing.
                  How many plates does it pass through? You can open up plates in the
                  column and do quick stripping runs and only on higher rectification
                  at the end.

                  The other school of thought says that every time the evaporate
                  condenses and revaporizes (like passing through bubble plates) could
                  qualify as a single distillation. So if you run a high rectification
                  run through a 20 plate column, Diageo could say 20 times distilled ;)

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe

                  ______________
                  > It's here! Your new message!

                • Ian Kent
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                    I've been to the Diageo distillery in Sydney a few times and although
                    I can't confirm the 'triple distilled' I can confirm they do charcoal
                    filter their Smirnoff.

                    Ian...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                      They use too much carbon though - many tasters say they can pick
                      Smirnoff out of any lineup simply because the carbon taste carries
                      over into the product.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>