Re: multiple distillations

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mike karnowski <djpotpie@...>
      wrote:

      > I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked
      directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations.
      The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once
      through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still,
      then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their
      vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said.
      Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka
      they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell". -m

      Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
      distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
      fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
      bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
      equipment AND staff with a clue.

      And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
      filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
      believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
      supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
      other?

      We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.

      ps
      Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
      I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hello All,
        I was visiting the "Skyy Vodka" site a while ago, they use 4 stills
        (pictured). My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I believe the final
        still is a 65 plate beauty!
        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Leslie Richardson
        <towndrunk1952@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        > I was drinking some Svedka Vodka yesterday and noticed that the
        bottle said that they distill their product 5 times.I can see maybe
        running it through twice but why 5 times. Is this just an advertising
        gimmick to get people to but their product? Thanks...Les

        > ---------------------------------

      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007

          >Slainte!
          >regards Harry

          >ps
          >Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
          >I'll sell ya the old Coat hanger real cheap. :)

          Come on Harry, its 75 years old, nobody would want itJ

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

        • Leslie Richardson
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
            Thanks Riku for the reply. It seems to be the trend now for some distilleries to advertise their product being distilled 4 or even 5 times. Mostly companies who distill vodka from what I've seen. Thanks again...Les

            Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
              Not to mention heads and tails. You can not recirculate them forever
              with Vodka as is done with whiskey so you need to compress them.

              Cheers, Riku

              > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
              > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
              > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
              > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
              > equipment AND staff with a clue.
              >
              > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry
              >
              > ps
              > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
              > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

            • Michael
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
                > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
                > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
                > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
                > equipment AND staff with a clue.
                >
                > And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
                > filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
                > believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
                > supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
                > other?
                >
                > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry
                >
                > ps
                > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

                hey Harry maybe they in a 2nd biz diamond cleaning hahahaha
              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                  If its on the Bottle it has to be TRUE !!!   Are all these Salesmen LIARS ?  Come on Guys . Have you no Faith in these distillers? Are they just Snake Oil salesmen?   Well ?-? Would anyone say something just to get you to buy there product.?   How far do you think they stretch something ?? It would be nice to know.!

                  > I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked
                  directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations.
                  The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once
                  through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still,
                  then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their
                  vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said.
                  Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka
                  they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell". -m

                  Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
                  distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
                  fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
                  bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
                  equipment AND staff with a clue.

                  And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
                  filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
                  believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
                  supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
                  other?

                  We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.

                  ps
                  Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                  I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

                  with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
                • jcv1800
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                    I called out a Diageo rep on the 'triple distilled' label on Smirnoff
                    while at the Lallemand alcohol school in Montreal. He admitted it
                    was all BS - not like I needed him to admit it.

                    Seriously, anything that says x times distilled is pure marketing.
                    How many plates does it pass through? You can open up plates in the
                    column and do quick stripping runs and only on higher rectification
                    at the end.

                    The other school of thought says that every time the evaporate
                    condenses and revaporizes (like passing through bubble plates) could
                    qualify as a single distillation. So if you run a high rectification
                    run through a 20 plate column, Diageo could say 20 times distilled ;)

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe

                    ______________
                    > It's here! Your new message!

                  • Ian Kent
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                      I've been to the Diageo distillery in Sydney a few times and although
                      I can't confirm the 'triple distilled' I can confirm they do charcoal
                      filter their Smirnoff.

                      Ian...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                        They use too much carbon though - many tasters say they can pick
                        Smirnoff out of any lineup simply because the carbon taste carries
                        over into the product.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>