multiple distillations

  • Leslie Richardson
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi Group,
        I was drinking some Svedka Vodka yesterday and noticed that the bottle said that they distill their product 5 times.I can see maybe running it through twice but why 5 times. Is this just an advertising gimmick to get people to but their product? Thanks...Les

      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
        Advertising mostly. Multiple distillations are needed when potstill is
        used. Making neutral alcohol with potstill is pretty much futile as you
        get easily 10 or more "distillations" in one pass using a reflux
        column. Though it is possible that they are using one of them small
        colums with plates -> 5 plates could be intepreted for marketing
        purposes as distilled 5 times.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Leslie Richardson
        <towndrunk1952@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        > I was drinking some Svedka Vodka yesterday and noticed that the
        bottle said that they distill their product 5 times.I can see maybe
        running it through twice but why 5 times. Is this just an advertising
        gimmick to get people to but their product? Thanks...Les

        > ---------------------------------
        > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast
        > with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

      • mike karnowski
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
          I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations. The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still, then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said. Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell".   -m

          Need Mail bonding?
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mike karnowski <djpotpie@...>
            wrote:

            > I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked
            directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations.
            The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once
            through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still,
            then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their
            vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said.
            Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka
            they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell". -m

            Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
            distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
            fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
            bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
            equipment AND staff with a clue.

            And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
            filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
            believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
            supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
            other?

            We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.

            ps
            Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
            I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
              Hello All,
              I was visiting the "Skyy Vodka" site a while ago, they use 4 stills
              (pictured). My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I believe the final
              still is a 65 plate beauty!
              Tip one, Morgan

              <towndrunk1952@...> wrote:

              > Hi Group,
              > I was drinking some Svedka Vodka yesterday and noticed that the
              bottle said that they distill their product 5 times.I can see maybe
              running it through twice but why 5 times. Is this just an advertising
              gimmick to get people to but their product? Thanks...Les

              > ---------------------------------

            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007

                >Slainte!
                >regards Harry

                >ps
                >Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                >I'll sell ya the old Coat hanger real cheap. :)

                Come on Harry, its 75 years old, nobody would want itJ

                Yours in Spirit

                Robert

              • Leslie Richardson
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Thanks Riku for the reply. It seems to be the trend now for some distilleries to advertise their product being distilled 4 or even 5 times. Mostly companies who distill vodka from what I've seen. Thanks again...Les

                  Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Not to mention heads and tails. You can not recirculate them forever
                    with Vodka as is done with whiskey so you need to compress them.

                    Cheers, Riku

                    > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
                    > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
                    > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
                    > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
                    > equipment AND staff with a clue.
                    >
                    > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
                    >

                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry
                    >
                    > ps
                    > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                    > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                      > Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
                      > distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
                      > fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
                      > bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
                      > equipment AND staff with a clue.
                      >
                      > And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
                      > filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
                      > believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
                      > supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
                      > other?
                      >
                      > We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.
                      >

                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry
                      >
                      > ps
                      > Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                      > I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

                      hey Harry maybe they in a 2nd biz diamond cleaning hahahaha
                    • donald holcombe
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
                        If its on the Bottle it has to be TRUE !!!   Are all these Salesmen LIARS ?  Come on Guys . Have you no Faith in these distillers? Are they just Snake Oil salesmen?   Well ?-? Would anyone say something just to get you to buy there product.?   How far do you think they stretch something ?? It would be nice to know.!

                        > I was visiting the Buffalo Trace distillery last week and asked
                        directly about Rain vodka that they make and claim 7 distillations.
                        The spokesman said it is actually 7 different distillations, once
                        through the beer (stripper) still, then through an old pot still,
                        then through a large column still, then 4 more passes through their
                        vodka still. I'm not saying I believe it but that's what he said.
                        Never tasted the stuff myself. I love the motto of their cheap vodka
                        they make "the one that kisses but doesn't tell". -m

                        Heat costs money. Even recovering the heat and reusing it, 7
                        distillations REALLY cranks up production costs for no gain. In
                        fact you get progressively diminishing returns of volume. It's
                        bullshit. Either that or they REALLY need new, more efficient
                        equipment AND staff with a clue.

                        And there's another one from somewhere in the Ukraine that claims it
                        filters through DIAMONDS! You'd have to be pretty gullible to
                        believe that diamonds can absorb anything. HTF is any of this
                        supposed to prove that one is somehow cleaner or more pure than any
                        other?

                        We all need to recognise marketing bullshit for what it is.

                        ps
                        Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
                        I'll sell ya the old Coathanger real cheap. :)

                        with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
                      • jcv1800
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                          I called out a Diageo rep on the 'triple distilled' label on Smirnoff
                          while at the Lallemand alcohol school in Montreal. He admitted it
                          was all BS - not like I needed him to admit it.

                          Seriously, anything that says x times distilled is pure marketing.
                          How many plates does it pass through? You can open up plates in the
                          column and do quick stripping runs and only on higher rectification
                          at the end.

                          The other school of thought says that every time the evaporate
                          condenses and revaporizes (like passing through bubble plates) could
                          qualify as a single distillation. So if you run a high rectification
                          run through a 20 plate column, Diageo could say 20 times distilled ;)

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe

                          ______________
                          > It's here! Your new message!

                        • Ian Kent
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                            I've been to the Diageo distillery in Sydney a few times and although
                            I can't confirm the 'triple distilled' I can confirm they do charcoal
                            filter their Smirnoff.

                            Ian...

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                              They use too much carbon though - many tasters say they can pick
                              Smirnoff out of any lineup simply because the carbon taste carries
                              over into the product.

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>