Re: Feints

  • ringmesh
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 31, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
      <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

      > Hmm, is there any (free) way of seeing the whole patent, or at least
      > the "why this works" section?
      > Here's a quote with my thoughts:
      >
      > Alcoholic liquids ready for aging and contained in vessels such as
      > bottles, casks and the like are submitted to low-frequency polarized
      > pulsating magnetic fields.
      >
      > > low frequency polarised: polarized as in only one pole pointing at
      > the barrel? If so then the pulsing must be dc otherwise the poles
      > switch every 50Hz, we don't want a sine wave but a thingie like a
      row
      > of naked ladies lying side by side.
      >
      > Fields are produced by air-core wound solenoids made of an electric
      > conductive wire and disposed close to the vessels. Solenoids are
      > > so that would be several loops with nothing as a core, side on to
      the
      > barrel.
      >
      > connected individually or by groups to respective generators
      adapted to
      > supply a low-frequency pulsating current of 50 Hz for example.
      > Solenoids can be incorporated in panel-shaped containers or
      fastened to
      > support structures to be associated with a plurality of vessels
      holding
      > the liquids for aging.
      >

      > So I guess ac to dc inversion (rather than chopping as we want those
      > boobies lined up) would be the way to go.
      >
      > I have no idea how to calculate number of coils, voltage etc to give
      > field strength though.
      > Cheers
      > Rob.
      >
      > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Here's one, a solenoid based maturation setup:
      > > http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5860353.html
      > >
      > > If I understand it coorectly you make a solenoid as described,
      plug
      > > it into 50Hz mains and let it run for 18 days. Combine with
      aeration
      > > with air pump and some oakshavings for that time and we should
      have
      > > good whiskey in three months.
      > >
      > > Anyone familiar with magnetic fields and electric stuff, could
      you
      > > make detailed building instructions for 100 gauss device for us
      > > mundane people?
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
      > > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Don't get me wrong, Riku. I'm with you on finding a method of
      fast

      > > > aging. I've posted before on my methods of forced aeration of
      > > > spirits on wood to partially achieve this aim.
      > > >
      > > > It seems to me, what we are really looking for (holy grail?) is
      > > > method of speeding up the reaction formation of the various
      > > > intermediate substances between the tannins, esters, acids etc.
      and

      > > > the final congeners that make a quality brown spirit. There's
      been

      > > > some progress in this area using ultrasonics. I can't remember
      > > > which patent I saw, but there is a patent and an electronic
      > > > transducer device marketed by our Asian friends that reports a
      cut
      > > > in maturation time from years to days.
      > > >
      > > > When I get a bit of time, I'll try to find the info.
      > > >

      > > > Slainte!
      > > > regards Harry
      > > >

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >For what i'ts worth, I have used ultrasonics on a daily basis for
      several years. Ultrasonics are used for cleaning in the optical,
      horological & jewellery fields.
      I have no doubt ageing can be substancially sped up using a
      ultrasonic tank - the effects of cavitation and literal explosion of
      dirt from articles placed in the tanks are proof of the agitation of
      the fluid at a molecular level, in addition there is a rapid increase
      in the fluid temperature.
      Some of the instructions include:-
      1.Never put fingers into the fluid (causes disintergration of bone
      marrow)
      2. Never use inflamable liquid (which is why refrigeration is used
      when built in to a automatic system.
      3. Never let items rest on bottom or sides of tank - should be
      suspended - applies when items are placed in tank.
      If inflamable fluids are used tank should be on a timer at all times,
      for safety sake - I burnt my fingers after using for 20 minutes.
      Personally, I prefer Harry's method of air plus the use of activated,
      toasted oak or finely cut virgin oak.
      Kind Regards, Peter

      > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

    • Jim Graves
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 5, 2013
        Uncle Jess says 8-15 times the feints can be recycled.  I am up to twelve on mine right now with no off taste at all.  Will continue to do this until the taste is effected!......Jim

        On Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:19 PM, "wayde.allen@..." <wayde.allen@...> wrote:

        I'm curious about the use of feints. It makes sense to toss the foreshots, and to save the heads and tails combining them to make the feints. It also makes sense to recycle the feints in the still to recover more of the alcohol and possible flavoring agents. What is less clear to me is does a distiller continue adding to the feints collection or is there a point when you discard the feints and start over?