Rogue distillery

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2007
      I got to spend monday in Portland, Oregon. Since I was there, I
      decided to tour a few distilleries. I stopped by the Rogue distillery
      for lunch. Its a nice little pub and eatery with a nice big window
      showing you inside the 2nd floor distillery. They do a tour and
      tasting at 2pm monday-friday. Just thought I would let you know how
      they do what they do.

      They have 4 or 5 big 150 gallon ss fermenting tanks. They use
      C&H "Yellow D" brown sugar and champaine yeast for their wash, which
      is fermented out to 15% alcohol. First they run it through a copper
      stripping pot still which has electrical (water heater like)
      elements. I think we figured it was running at least 10kw by how fast
      it heated up. The distillers didn't really know much about the still,
      they never designed it. Once it has been stripped, it is put in a
      stainless steel pot still which looked about 50 gallon. Both stills
      used a 1 inch copper coil in a bucket of water. The coil was about 2
      feet tall. After the spirit run, it is aged in used Jack Daniels
      barrels for 6-8 months. It is then cut down to about 42% with de-
      ionized water.

      To me, their dark rum tasted like a weak Jack, then again, it is aged
      in Jack barrels.

      This is a little info on the sugar:
      http://www.chsugar.com/professional/Pages/130_2b_1.htm

      You can watch a virtual tour here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPveDTTs14o
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW4wus_PoZU

      Hope this helps out some rum makers, or at least gives you something
      to think about.

      -Tyler
    • mike karnowski
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
        I was hanging out with the distiller of Rogue this weekend and he mentioned that they also use their house strain of beer yeast to ferment the wash. Just to pat myself on the back the distillery I work at (Celebration Distillation in New Orleans) won best aged rum in America for our amber rum.  cheers,  -mike

      • mel stull
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
          DO U DRINK IT?

          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time