Right equation?

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2007
      I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to do a stripping run.
      According to the equations in the Compleat Distiller, 1 kw will
      distill 30ml of water per minute, and 89ml or ethanol per minute. If
      my wort is 15% ethanol, then i would assume that it would produce
      38.85ml per minute. (89-30=59, 15% of 59 = 8.85) Assuming that my
      calculations are correct.

      Unless the equation is taking into account the alcohol content in the
      vapor, and not in the wort. Which in this case would be, (89-30=59,
      60% of 59 = 35.4). This would give me 65.4ml of distillate per minute,
      assuming an output of 60% ethanol.

      Am I totally messed up on these equations, or am I getting close?

      -Tyler
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2007
        methinks you have the concept a-over-t.
        Your distillation rate is actually your collection rate. This has next
        to nothing to do with how fast stuff is boiling, and everything to do
        with the proportion you allow to return to the column vs. what you let
        drip into your collection bottle (assuming you are not using a pot
        still).
        Even if you are using a pot still, you will want to control the heat
        input, rather than powering it up for maximum speed.
        Is there not something about this in the distillers web site?
        Cheers
        Rob.

        --- tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to do a stripping run.
        > According to the equations in the Compleat Distiller, 1 kw will
        > distill 30ml of water per minute, and 89ml or ethanol per minute. If
        > my wort is 15% ethanol, then i would assume that it would produce
        > 38.85ml per minute. (89-30=59, 15% of 59 = 8.85) Assuming that my
        > calculations are correct.
        >
        > Unless the equation is taking into account the alcohol content in the
        > vapor, and not in the wort. Which in this case would be, (89-30=59,
        > 60% of 59 = 35.4). This would give me 65.4ml of distillate per
        > minute,
        > assuming an output of 60% ethanol.
        >
        > Am I totally messed up on these equations, or am I getting close?
        >
        > -Tyler

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        TV dinner still cooling?
        http://tv.yahoo.com/
      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2007
          What i was trying to do is figure out how long it would take to do a
          STRIPPING run. By figuring out how much alcohol i have in the wort,
          and what the distillate strength will be when it comes out, I only
          have to figure out what the rate of collection will be to find out a
          rough idea of how long it will take.

          If i was doing a spirit run using a reflux still, at a reflux ratio of
          9:1, all i would have to do is take the estimated distillation rate,
          and reduce it by 90% to find out how long it would take to do a spirit
          run.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
            wrote:

            > > > I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to do a
            stripping run.
            > > > According to the equations in the Compleat Distiller, 1 kw will
            > > > distill 30ml of water per minute, and 89ml or ethanol per
            minute. If
            > > > my wort is 15% ethanol, then i would assume that it would
            produce
            > > > 38.85ml per minute. (89-30=59, 15% of 59 = 8.85) Assuming that
            my
            > > > calculations are correct.
            > > >
            > > > Unless the equation is taking into account the alcohol content
            in the
            > > > vapor, and not in the wort. Which in this case would be, (89-
            30=59,
            > > > 60% of 59 = 35.4). This would give me 65.4ml of distillate per
            > > > minute,
            > > > assuming an output of 60% ethanol.
            > > >
            > > > Am I totally messed up on these equations, or am I getting
            close?

            > > > -Tyler

            If you have a continuous feed column you can work out product vs
            time. Known rate of beer feed per hour at a constant alc. strength
            and a constant heat input will give that one. Many Commercial
            whiskey makers use this method to strip, then put the strip results
            into a potstill for final production.

            But a potstill or reflux still is different, because the percentage
            of alc. strength in the charge (the feed) keeps changing. When do
            you decide that diminishing returns isn't worth it? At 5%? Or 2%?
            The more alc. you remove, the longer it takes to remove the next
            given amount.

            It's not linear. Therefore, time-trials with your particular setup,
            and your particular strength of wash, is the only reliable guide.