Re: [new_distillers] Re: alcohol into vinegar?

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2007
      XZACKLY !!!

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2007 7:15:04 AM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: alcohol into vinegar?

      Oxgenation and oxidation are not interchangeable terms.
      Oxygenation is the adding or dissolving of oxgen.
      Oxidation is the chemical reaction of oxygen (or other source of the
      element) with other molecules.
      Oxygenation prior to fermentation is good.
      Oxidation is never good. Ever.
      Oxidation by oxygen (gas) is related to temperature (higher temp = more
      oxidation). Oxidation of wort produces cardboardy flavours.

      Cheers
      Rob.

      --- donald holcombe <blackledge_02@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      > My sources warn that oxygenation of the wort can occur when the temp
      > is above 80F. That is why we quickly cool the wort then
      > aeriate.Anything not created before distillation is one less thing to
      > get rid of during distilation. Oxygen introduce after the primary
      > ferment helps production of Diacetyl. The old folk told me if you see
      > the
      bubbles stop you got 2 days to cook off the mash. After that the
      > bubbles change to a larger bubble size and thats when you get the bad
      > stuff. I like the Hill for getting a mental picture !

      complete, and alcohol is produced, if left for
      > > too long and exposed to oxygen, can the alcohol turn into vinegar?
      > > Does this happen only during fermentation when exposed to oxygen,
      > or
      > > does this happen only if the batch is contaminated? I have never
      > been
      > > too knowledgeable about this subject.
      > >
      > > -Tyler

      > http://tv.yahoo. com/collections/ 265