Stripping and questions

  • peatreakmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      Well, the thermometer has been installed, and the parrot beak set up,
      and a stripping run was done the other day with Uncle Jesse's recipe
      (thanks, Harry for the direction). I am running 4 gallons wash at a
      time and getting just under 1 1/4 gallons stripped at 55-60% abv. in
      my little five gallon copper pot.

      Question One: To get final quantity result of 7 gallons (cask
      strength) after three distillations starting with stripped strength
      of average 55%, would I need a little less than 14 gallons of
      stripped material? Goal is to cask five gallons and age. I also want
      to have 2 gallons to quick age with oak chips and enjoy while waiting
      years for the cask to do its job (and run more along the way of
      course.

      Can someone confirm that I should use an uncharred oak cask and cut
      product to 80% abv to set for time? Is there anything I should add to
      the product for aging? Flavoring, chemicals, etc.???

      Question Two: When dilluting to approx. 40% for second distillation,
      instead of using water, can I (or would I want to) use what has been
      left over in the pot after shutting down from previous batches? I
      have been saving it in a locked carboy.

      Question Three: I have two carboys with airlocked mash that did not
      ferment (see some of my previous posts). Can this be used to add with
      backset or in lieu of backset when I continue subsequent
      fermentations per Uncle Jesse's recipe?

      The recipe calls for removing spent corn from the fermenter and
      replacing with new. Does this added corn need to be cooked?

      Could I use that mash material for cutting at time of second and
      third distillations? It has no added sugar but does have yeast, but
      went nowhere.

      Well, this has been quite a mouthful of chatter and questions...I
      apologize if this post has been a little long winded; but there are
      some good points for discussion I think.

      Thanks to y'all who have helped along the way.

      Peat