condenser for mini-still

  • john achilles
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi
      I have just completed building a one metre by 50mil. Still on the
      mini- still design, is a condenser required on the product discharge
      line, thanks john
    • kirtgk
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        hi john. no a condenser is not REQUIRED on the product discharge line.
        the prime reason to put a condenser on a product line is to bring the
        temp down or up to the proper temperature for testing the ethanol. at
        this location on your still it is then being used not as a condenser
        but as a cooler. if you've got an alcometer the instruction should
        tell you at what temp it is calibrated for. on my mini still i use a
        cooler. i simply made a copper coil and housed it in pvc pipe with
        caps on each end. the product runs inside the copper coil (never
        touching the pvc)and the water runs around it inside the pvc pipe
        cooling my product.

        DO NOT USE PVC ANYWHERE WHERE IT TOUCHES YOUR PRODUCT!! you will end
        up with bad substances in you product.

        chillin and stillin
        kirtgk

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "john achilles" <gidgee@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > I have just completed building a one metre by 50mil. Still on the
        > mini- still design, is a condenser required on the product discharge
        > line, thanks john

      • john achilles
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

          > hi john. no a condenser is not REQUIRED on the product discharge line.
          > the prime reason to put a condenser on a product line is to bring the
          > temp down or up to the proper temperature for testing the ethanol. at
          > this location on your still it is then being used not as a condenser
          > but as a cooler. if you've got an alcometer the instruction should
          > tell you at what temp it is calibrated for. on my mini still i use a
          > cooler. i simply made a copper coil and housed it in pvc pipe with
          > caps on each end. the product runs inside the copper coil (never
          > touching the pvc)and the water runs around it inside the pvc pipe
          > cooling my product.
          >
          > DO NOT USE PVC ANYWHERE WHERE IT TOUCHES YOUR PRODUCT!! you will end
          > up with bad substances in you product.
          >
          > chillin and stillin
          > kirtgk

          Hi and thanks kirtgk,
          will make a chiller type condenser as you suggested
          john