Re: [new_distillers] Copper packing turning black - Replace or clean?

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      Sounds like you have an oxidation problem - you know, when copper and steel are pushed together and moisture is introduced.  I would use one or the other - as it is hard to clean copper scrubbers.  If your column is stainless - stick to copper.  If it is a copper column, use stainless steel scrubbers.

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      sawyer7271 <sawyer7271@...> wrote:
      I have a 15g. SS keg still with a 3' (1M) column. Packing is a mix of
      SS Scrubbers, and copper scrubbers.

      With every run, the copper scrubbers pregressively turn blacker...

      I assume this is from the copper/Sulfide reaction saving the distillate
      from the Hydrogen Sulfide smell/taste.

      My question is: Can I clean the copper scrubbers or do I replace them?

      Thanks!

    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
        I tend to agree with you, but and would certainlly do the magnet
        thing, but a wash with lots of sulphur in it will turn the scrubbers
        a dark color also.
        Soaking in a vinegar solution would dissolve the crud and then I put
        the mesh through the dishwashwer for a cycle.
        At 03:26 PM 3/2/2007, you wrote:

        >As long as i have used my copper scrubbers, I have not had a problem
        >with them turning black.

        ;-)Derek