Re: 1" colum vs 3" column

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      A larger diameter pipe will be able to handle more vapor without
      choking. To put it simply, the wider the column, the more power you
      can use to distill, within reason.

      A wider column will not, to my knowledge, produce a cleaner, higher
      proof spirit. However, a taller column will. The taller the column is,
      the more HETP it has, therefor, more condensing and re-vaporizing. End
      result - better sepparation of heads, hearts, and tails, which in
      turn, will give you a cleaner higher proof product.

      Does that help answer your questions?

      -Tyler

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "njadpco" <njadpco@...> wrote:

      > i have a small 1" reflux still and was going to build a 2" from plans
      > from www.moonshine-still.com/still.pdf i have a couple questions about
      > this
      >
      > 1) will a larger column distill faster than a 1"
      >
      > 2) will a larger column produce a cleaner higher proof than a 1"

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
        You need to match the column diameter to the power you use. Aim for
        12"/s vaporspeed for optimal results. And those plans from moonshine-
        still are far from optimal, I suggest you do some reading. Especially
        VM principle is worth of interest if you want neutral alcohol.

        Cheers, Riku