Re: Copper packing turning black - Replace or clean?

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      As long as i have used my copper scrubbers, I have not had a problem
      with them turning black. They have turned from orange to yellow or
      red, but never black. It sounds more like you have some mild steel
      scrubbers that have been treated to look like copper. Most of the
      scrubbers that i have found are this way. It is hard to find good,
      pure copper scrubbers.

      Put a magnet up to your "copper" scrubbers. If it sticks, you have
      found your problem.

      If you do have pure copper scrubbers, and they are turning black for
      some reason, soak them in a little vinegar overnight. That should do it.

      -Tyler

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sawyer7271" <sawyer7271@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a 15g. SS keg still with a 3' (1M) column. Packing is a mix of
      > SS Scrubbers, and copper scrubbers.
      >
      > With every run, the copper scrubbers pregressively turn blacker...
      >
      > I assume this is from the copper/Sulfide reaction saving the distillate
      > from the Hydrogen Sulfide smell/taste.
      >
      > My question is: Can I clean the copper scrubbers or do I replace them?
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Andrew Bugal

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
          I tend to agree with you, but and would certainlly do the magnet
          thing, but a wash with lots of sulphur in it will turn the scrubbers
          a dark color also.
          Soaking in a vinegar solution would dissolve the crud and then I put
          the mesh through the dishwashwer for a cycle.
          At 03:26 PM 3/2/2007, you wrote:

          >As long as i have used my copper scrubbers, I have not had a problem
          >with them turning black.

          ;-)Derek