1" colum vs 3" column

  • njadpco
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 11:43 AM
      i have a small 1" reflux still and was going to build a 2" from plans
      from www.moonshine-still.com/still.pdf i have a couple questions about
      this

      1) will a larger column distill faster than a 1"

      2) will a larger column produce a cleaner higher proof than a 1"
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 3:19 PM
        A larger diameter pipe will be able to handle more vapor without
        choking. To put it simply, the wider the column, the more power you
        can use to distill, within reason.

        A wider column will not, to my knowledge, produce a cleaner, higher
        proof spirit. However, a taller column will. The taller the column is,
        the more HETP it has, therefor, more condensing and re-vaporizing. End
        result - better sepparation of heads, hearts, and tails, which in
        turn, will give you a cleaner higher proof product.

        Does that help answer your questions?

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "njadpco" <njadpco@...> wrote:

        > i have a small 1" reflux still and was going to build a 2" from plans
        > from www.moonshine-still.com/still.pdf i have a couple questions about
        > this
        >
        > 1) will a larger column distill faster than a 1"
        >
        > 2) will a larger column produce a cleaner higher proof than a 1"

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 3:53 PM
          You need to match the column diameter to the power you use. Aim for
          12"/s vaporspeed for optimal results. And those plans from moonshine-
          still are far from optimal, I suggest you do some reading. Especially
          VM principle is worth of interest if you want neutral alcohol.

          Cheers, Riku