Copper packing turning black - Replace or clean?

  • sawyer7271
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      I have a 15g. SS keg still with a 3' (1M) column. Packing is a mix of
      SS Scrubbers, and copper scrubbers.

      With every run, the copper scrubbers pregressively turn blacker...

      I assume this is from the copper/Sulfide reaction saving the distillate
      from the Hydrogen Sulfide smell/taste.

      My question is: Can I clean the copper scrubbers or do I replace them?

      Thanks!
    • francispettit
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
        From my understanding it is possible to clean your scrubbers by
        soaking them in a mild acid (havn't needed to do it yet so haven't
        tried) - preferably an organic one such as lemon juice or vinegar.
        Just grab a deep dish and fill with said acid and then leave the
        scrubbers to soak, checking and turning them every now and again.
        Don't leave them overnight, there mayn not be enough to return to ;)
      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
          As long as i have used my copper scrubbers, I have not had a problem
          with them turning black. They have turned from orange to yellow or
          red, but never black. It sounds more like you have some mild steel
          scrubbers that have been treated to look like copper. Most of the
          scrubbers that i have found are this way. It is hard to find good,
          pure copper scrubbers.

          Put a magnet up to your "copper" scrubbers. If it sticks, you have
          found your problem.

          If you do have pure copper scrubbers, and they are turning black for
          some reason, soak them in a little vinegar overnight. That should do it.

          -Tyler

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sawyer7271" <sawyer7271@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a 15g. SS keg still with a 3' (1M) column. Packing is a mix of
          > SS Scrubbers, and copper scrubbers.
          >
          > With every run, the copper scrubbers pregressively turn blacker...
          >
          > I assume this is from the copper/Sulfide reaction saving the distillate
          > from the Hydrogen Sulfide smell/taste.
          >
          > My question is: Can I clean the copper scrubbers or do I replace them?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Andrew Bugal

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
              I tend to agree with you, but and would certainlly do the magnet
              thing, but a wash with lots of sulphur in it will turn the scrubbers
              a dark color also.
              Soaking in a vinegar solution would dissolve the crud and then I put
              the mesh through the dishwashwer for a cycle.
              At 03:26 PM 3/2/2007, you wrote:

              >As long as i have used my copper scrubbers, I have not had a problem
              >with them turning black.

              ;-)Derek