Re: VM reflux still plans - novice hoping for some quick advice!

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
      Stevo,

      I recommend you read the compleat distiller and have a look at Vapor
      Management principle.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Rohan
      > I can't see how it would work. All the reflux liquid will fall back
      > down the column and you will get no product.
      > Better off to use the 2 plates as in the modified mini still design.
      > That way you do not need all the adaptors, just the 2" pipe.
      > If you use this design make shore you pre cut the slots it the
      bottom
      > plate so the reflux runs down the centre of the column.
      > I have some photos in album Mini Still
      > This link goes to Alex "bokakob" original drawing
      > http://tinyurl.com/34948c
      >
      > Happy drinking
      >
      > Stevo

    • rohan_russell
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
        Thanks Riku,
        I really appreciate the guidance. I will lengthen the leibig condenser
        as you suggested - the extra flexibility for stripping will be really
        useful. I must admit it will be great to finally get building after so
        many months of indecision!

        On that note - thanks to all the regular contributors on this board
        who have unwittingly helped me in my own research... It has been
        torture at times tring to decipher the science (most of which I still
        only partly understand) and I can't wait to start focusing on the
        actuall distilling which in truth, is what got me interested in the
        first place!

        Regards
        Rohan
      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
          Hi Rohan
          Not shore what I was thinking last night. Bad night.
          Riku is correct.
          You do have the principles perfectly worked out.

          Happy drinking

          Stevo

          > Hi steve,
          > Thanks for the prompt reply. Because I am still new to all this, I am
          > not sure how to evaluate and reply to your concern, but as far as I
          > understood it, the basic principles of VM rely on vapour density and
          > thus should allow my design to function. From what I gather, at the
          > take off a % of vapour flow in the column to move through the side
          > arm/gate valve/ leibig and eventually (if we are lucky) an awaiting
          > collection vessle.
          >
          > From reading the compleat distiller, I gather that when vapour passes
          > the T junction of the column the vapour is split in a ratio
          > proportional to column diametre : take off/gate valve diametre. Thus
          > whilst most vapour is refluxed through the column, a smaller % enters
          > the take off side arm. This ratio can also be controlled by the
          > apature of the gate valve to control reflux ratios. When the vapour at
          > the start of a run (containing a high % of ethanol) passes the side
          > arm gate valve, it falls under gravity, into the awaiting leibig to be
          > condensed and collected. This occurs because high % ethanol vapour is
          > denser/heavier than air. As the % of ethanol in the vapour decreases,
          > so does this effect, so that eventually, the output from a VM column
          > decreases (automatically helping to avoid the collection of a large
          > ammount of tails).
          >
          > If this is not correct, and my still design really wont work, then I
          > have somehow missed the point of the "VM" concept entirely....
          >
          > Could someone who owns a VM still (and preferablly with a simmilar
          > design to my preposal) help clarify this point? As far as I remember
          > reading, the compleat distiller (in appendix 5 or 6) actually makes
          > mention of using copper reducer couplings instead of flanges...
          > Maybe the wernicke's encephalopathy has set in prematurely?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for the imput
          > Rohan

        • rohan_russell
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
            Gday Steve,
            Glad we are all in agreement.
            Thanks for the help.
            Rohan
          • tyler_97355
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
              You design looks all correct. However, i would use a 2 inch tee and
              not a 1 inch. Depending on the amount of power you are using, your
              column might choke at the reducer. That would be my only modification.
              Good luck, and have fun.

              -Tyler

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rohan_russell"
              <rohan_russell@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Riku,
              > I really appreciate the guidance. I will lengthen the leibig condenser
              > as you suggested - the extra flexibility for stripping will be really
              > useful. I must admit it will be great to finally get building after so
              > many months of indecision!
              >
              > On that note - thanks to all the regular contributors on this board
              > who have unwittingly helped me in my own research... It has been
              > torture at times tring to decipher the science (most of which I still
              > only partly understand) and I can't wait to start focusing on the
              > actuall distilling which in truth, is what got me interested in the
              > first place!
              >
              > Regards
              > Rohan

            • eric_yendall
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2008
                Rohan
                Did you build and run the VM still you described? What has been your
                experience? Did you modify the design in any way from your original
                drawing e.g. did you take the advice not to go with 1" reducers? Did
                you keep a gate valve below the reflux condenser?
                I am following down the same path and your experience should be very
                helpful to me.
                Eric