Re: a new toy for a new member...

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Morgan <scotty@...>
      wrote:

      > Ooops I made an error;
      >
      > *** the tube we have is 2" or 50mm. So I had a look at Tony's page
      and
      > got lost still. Looking
      > at your notes above 2" with approx 1 meter should be fine.

      .............Yes

      > Looking at Tony's calculation page, packing height is listed at
      600mm
      > and i need to run 1200w of power.
      >
      > Is that 60Omm of total packed space or is the packing to
      positioned from
      > the bottom of apparatus when fitted on the still .... sorry
      > i am unsure here.

      .............Why unsure? 600mm of packing is minimum. Use more if
      you wish. I certainly hope you don't mean to try positioning it
      600mm from the the bottom. Where's the logic in that? Commonsense
      is your best asset when still-building.

      > The info is vague on the density of packing, is it a suck it and
      see
      > principal with SS Wool??

      .............If it's packed correctly, you can blow through the tube
      with just a very little of resistance. If resistance is high,
      you've packed too tight. If none at all, it's too loose. Also,
      you'll get far better results if the packing is copper mesh (pure
      copper, not coated plastic). Read about it and what it does for
      quality product.

      Also, the table shows 1200w of power but down
      > below on the page it shows a diameter of power maximum of 3200w. I
      do
      > like lots of power - which is best.

      ...........Use whatever power you like to bring it to the boil, then
      cut it back to 1200w. All that does is reduce the boilup time. But
      for your rig specs, 1200w is the desired power input once
      distillation proper begins (at boil). More than that, your product
      will suffer (taste like crap). Again, read about this.

      > I was actually going to use a 3 ring gas burner I use for brewing
      rather
      > than a Heat Stick, nasty things they are especially on tripping my
      power.

      > Sorry brewing is about absolutes and small windows of
      opportunity...

      .........Distilling has more latitude. Distilling is about
      commonsense and attention to detail.

      > Scotty

    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Morgan <scotty@...> wrote:

        >Big, big snip
        >

        > Scotty

        Hi, Scotty, hi folks,

        Scotty, the information at the bottom of your message was perhaps
        more than you meant to broadcast, given the nature of our hobby!

        By the way, I live not all that far to the west of you.

        Regards,

        The Baker