RE: [new_distillers] Stoppers

  • Chas Nemecek
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2007
      In all the home pot stills that I have read about that use a teakettle for the boiler a rubber stopper is used. Be careful not to jam the stopper in as it is what is considered your safety valve. Always make sure your tubing is free and clear of any blockages before starting up.

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: fly_boy_bc@...
      Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:56:16 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] Stoppers

      Hi all,

      I am building a small (lab sized)pot-still with a thumper to "learn
      the ropes" while assembling the parts and knowlege for something
      bigger. I already have fermented a small batch of sugar/fruit juice
      champagne yeast mash to what my first experience with a hydrometer
      tells me is 14% Not too shabby! It is clear (well not cloudy anyway)
      and actually tastes alright.

      I would like to use lab glassware for the boiler and thumper and have
      already fabricated the connecting tubing and condenser coil from
      copper. (best of all worlds?)

      My question is what do I use for stoppers? Can I use black lab
      stoppers? I have read that I must NOT use any plastic which will
      contact hot high proof product. So what can I use? How about real
      cork?

      Thanks in advance,

      Gary.

    • Moonshine Man
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2009

        Hi guys, I have a question. Are those rubber bungs that are used for airlocks ok to use for the copper tubing coming out of the lid of the boiler?  I know that there are better ways, but I just wanted to know if it would do any bad things to your product if you used one.

        Thanks,

        Ray

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2009
          I've used those red ones for that purpose and they do work and last few cooks. However, getting a compression coupling with threads on one end is much better solution. Attach the pipe to the compression coupling part while threaded end goes through the lid. Two washers to compress the lid, a nut to compress those washers and few rounds of PTFE tape to seal it all. Costs only few bucks and is much more professional way to do it.

          Slainte, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys, I have a question. Are those rubber bungs that are used for airlocks ok to use for the copper tubing coming out of the lid of the boiler?  I know that there are better ways, but I just wanted to know if it would do any bad things to your product if you used one.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ray

        • Moonshine Man
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2009

            Thanks,
            I was asking cause a guy I know did the tea kettle thing and used his airlock bung, and I got to wondering if it was even safe to drink.

            Ray
            I've used those red ones for that purpose and they do work and last few cooks. However, getting a compression coupling with threads on one end is much better solution. Attach the pipe to the compression coupling part while threaded end goes through the lid. Two washers to compress the lid, a nut to compress those washers and few rounds of PTFE tape to seal it all. Costs only few bucks and is much more professional way to do it.

            Slainte, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi guys, I have a question. Are those rubber bungs that are used for airlocks ok to use for the copper tubing coming out of the lid of the boiler?  I know that there are better ways, but I just wanted to know if it would do any bad things to your product if you used one.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ray

          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@...> wrote:

              > Thanks,
              > I was asking cause a guy I know did the tea kettle thing and used his airlock bung, and I got to wondering if it was even safe to drink.
              >
              > Ray
              >

              > I've used those red ones for that purpose and they do work and last few cooks. However, getting a compression coupling with threads on one end is much better solution. Attach the pipe to the compression coupling part while threaded end goes through the lid. Two washers to compress the lid, a nut to compress those washers and few rounds of PTFE tape to seal it all. Costs only few bucks and is much more professional way to do it.
              >
              > Slainte, Riku

              I agree with Riku on the use of a compression fitting. I dont have any experience with the red ones he is talking about but I use to use these for my thermometer port and for ease of cleaning.
              http://www.brewhaus.com/Bung-Pure-Tan-Gum-Rubber-Lg-P1034C96.aspx
              For a long time I thought they didnt transfer any off flavors to the distillate but when I quit using them and switched to a copper cap with a compression fitting I noticed the quality of my booze got better.
              Then again it will be hard to get top quality stuff out of a tea kettle still.

              Mason
            • Moonshine Man
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2009
                Yes, I agree about the tea kettle. I didn't know about the stoppers one way or another.

                Thanks for the info.

                Ray