To Bicarb or not to Bicarb? That is the question.

  • sawyer7271
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2007
      Several questions for the bourbon/corn whiskey croud:

      I have a Reflux still with a 15gallon SS keg boiler, 2"x3' column.

      For my stripping runs, I've left the packing in, and run the unit at
      a pretty high rate with no reflux...

      I saved everything for the spirit run, and I have about 3 gallons of
      low-wines collected so far. To practice for the final run, I
      collected the output in small quantities and watched the temp
      carefully... The "Heads" from the stripping runs have a discernable
      aldehyde smell (like nail polish remover). It then slowly improved
      until I had an almost neutral alcohol,then progressed into a sweet
      taste (with less alcohol), and finally it turned a little harsh, and
      the alcohol dropped to less than 20%, so I stopped collecting.

      I saved some of the "heart" from the last run to experiment with
      oaking, and stored the remainder, waiting for the spirit run.

      I've been advised when making neutral spirits to add Sodium
      Bicarbonate to the low wines prior to the spirit run to clear the
      aldehydes. Is this appropriate to do with corn whiskey?

      Also, should I dilute the low wines before the spirit run?

      How much of a spirit run is collected into "good" whiskey, and how
      much into Feints. Given that I recycle my feints, shouldn't
      subsequent batches produce more?

      THANKS!

      Spam