Re: Ideal Still for Apple Brandy

  • andyfnp
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9, 2007
      Parrothead, what is the advantage to using mash in the thumper as
      opposed to plain water?
    • countrytime_still
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2007
        I made some great Apple Brandy last fall, no sugar was added eather.
        My still is a 2.5 gallon mini beer keg. A friend welded a "head" to the
        top (I don't rember what it was off of) and I fill it with marbles. I
        use a lot of the tails and cut it down to 100 Proof. I then added
        French oak chips.
      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2007
          The whole idea up the thumper is to distill the mash in the boiler and the thumper at the same time . Its a time and energy saver Plus it helps double distills the mash. Water would be a waste of time in a thumper!